Do you live in an apartment or a house?

Sad news my dh won't buy a house he said is too much responsibility so we are buying a coop. I'm so sad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We bought a house. It's small (three small bedrooms, one and a half baths), but definitely enough for us, on an acre of land, plus we're doing renovations (doing it ourselves- except the carpet) that will add to property value. If you think about it, renting is just throwing your money away because you're never going to get that back. If you invest in a house, you can sell it and get your money back out of it, more if the market gets better or you make simple improvements. And it's not that much more responsibility. Sure, we have to cut our own grass and pay for any repair that needs to be done that my husband can't do, but that rarely happens. Actually, the only thing we've had to have done that we couldn't do ourselves is having our septic tank pumped. Definitely a better deal than renting.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• im in a studio =/
    xohcannizzo

Answer by xohcannizzo at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We own a house. It is a lot of work and expense to own a house.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• 2BR apt here. I hate it! I wish I had a house. It would be nice to pay towards owning something then to pay towards someone else getting rich! LOL

Yes riotgrrl, it is a lot of expense and work to own a house, but it is YOURS.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We just bought a brand new house and I absolutely love it. It is our home and is worth the expense. When we rented I felt sick writing that check and the 170k we paid in rent over the years we lived in rentals would have gone to a mortgage and we would have the house we just bought halfway paid off.
    Anonymous

• Neither. I live in a duplex. I love it, but I'd be even happier if it had another bdrm.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We rented for 4 years before just buying our home. When we were renting a 3/2 apartment last year and it was $1000 per month. We're now paying $990 a month for a nice 3/2/2 home built in 2000 with a large lot in a nice neighborhood. Prices right now are amazing. If you have the credit and the income there is no reason not to buy! I love owning a home and a YARD! What fun for the kids!
    Anonymous

• We own a house. The yard and garden, etc. is too important to us, I don't think I could do an apartment. When we retire I would consider a townhouse...MAYBE. I think when I'm old I'll still want a garden though.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We rented a townhouse for 3 years until we had enough to buy a house. Supposedly you build up equity by owning a house - when you leave a rental you have nothing, when you leave a house you own you have the value of the house, minus any mortgage, of course. I like having a house, but there is something to be said for a semi-detached place where you pay a monthly fee and have the yards mowed and snow shoveling taken care of, and I don't know what else. When you own a place clear you still have real estate tax (depending on the state) and all inside and outside maintenance, and there is always something needing repair and something breaking down, always. And you have to handle it- locate a repair person and go through all of that. A coop- not sure what that is, but it sounds easier than a single family house that you own.

Answer by Bmat at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We rent a house right now..But next month we will be signing on a new home. It is a lot of responsibility,

,Mortgage/ House Insurance, Property tax, Electric bill, Gas bill(if you have gas),, Water bill, Sewage bill, Garbage bill. If any thing brakes in the house you have to fix it. You have to keep up your own yard too.

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009