Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to find out about natural parents-ancestery...any advice on where to start with this?

I am curious as any adopted child would be. I love history and would like to be able to trace back my family roots. Would be nice to know medical history in case one day I might need it. Adopted in the 60's, so it has been long ago.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (3)
  • In which state was the adoption finalize in? You will need to request your non-id information from the state vital statistics/or adoption unit as a starting point. That will give you their first names, years of birth, etc. From there you can reach out to search angels who will start going through state public records for matching birth years and first names to whittle down a list to pursue.

    There are good search/reunion groups here on CM for more details. I'm in the middle of searching too - born in 1969 and adopted in Washington State

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • I am happy to help search if you wanna PM me the information you already have.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • "Start with the state in which the adoption was finalized if you know it. If not, try to find out where your mom or dad were born or where they may have lived at some point. You can go to the courthouse and do a records search. Also, you can try The Adoptions and missing Persons Bureau.. I am an "unlicensed" Private Investigator....I have my diploma and working on a second, but can't afford state licensing fees yet. If you want some help, let me know. I would need so info from you first of course, but maybe I could be of help, at least get you started in the right direction.
    Good luck

    Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.