Would you let your 10 month old watch tv to to fall asleep?

I've been trying to wean my baby off of being rocked and fed to sleep - so far, we've conquered the night time - I put her down in her crib awake and she falls asleep. But for the daytime naps, I have been putting her in her swing, with the tv on (discovery kids) and she falls asleep within 10 mins or so. I need to free up my days since I'm a WAHM, so the extra time with my hands free really helps. If I were to rock her to sleep it would take me 30 mins or so. She is getting used to it and now cries if I try to put her in her crib for her daytime naps.....I would appreciate any feedback but please be nice - I know that what I'm doing is not the best thing for baby, but I need suggestions on what to try during the day. Thanks in advance!

dani809

Asked by dani809 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No i would not.
    I would turn on some music or something instead. It is likely the sounds that are sootheing her and not what is showing up on the screen.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We have a bad habit right now too, but it's been working! We black out my son's windows so it's dark in his room for his naps. We are starting to let a little more light in now every day until we get one window that's not blocked.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't. I can understand needing the time to do your work. However, I think using the T.V. to fall alseep is worse then rocking her to sleep. I would also try music and try the crib again. At some point she will be to big for the swing and you will have to start all over.
    mummy2x

Answer by mummy2x at 3:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• He would never fall asleep with the TV on. It goes on in the morning so that's what he associates it with. Sometimes I do wish he would fall asleep with it on though because I like it when I go to sleep lol. It is probably a bad habit to start though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my son falls asleep from watching tv sometimes, i dont see how it can be bad i mean you cant hold the kid all the time and babies like to look at the moving picture, not just listen to the sound, or else he wouldnt stay focused on the tv, i dont see nothing wrong with it
    Amars_Mommy

Answer by Amars_Mommy at 4:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I wish I could remember where i read it, but while I was pregnant I read an article about why kids under 2yo shouldn't watch tv...it stunts some part of their development...I really wish I could be more helpful. If I were you I'd go buy some of those baby einstein videos - at least those are supposed to be educational!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No. That's terrible habit that you'll wish you never started. Also, tv stimulates the mind. Stimulating the brain with the changing colors of the screen just before bed is not a good idea.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thank you ladies! I am going to try the music - that's a great idea. I will get her used to the crib for her naps, even if she spends a couple of naps totally awake....she'll get the idea that I need her to spend quiet time, and she'll eventually learn to nap. I may just use the swing and tv in very rare cases .... on days when I'm really really desperate....but only then!
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009