How would YOU have handled this (pref. Christians Only)

This morning, I was eating breakfast with my 6 yo DD. This was our conversation:

Mara: Mom, God said we're not supposed to kill anyone, right?
Mommy: Yes, baby, Thou shalt not kill
Mara: Then why did he kill his son?

I proceeded to remind her that in order for us to get into heaven, Jesus had to cleanse our sins away. I was still sleepy, and it wasn't even 8am yet. She always has out of the blue questions lol. What would YOU have said?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• mmmommy0207 -- I think you answered her question appropriately. For her age, you don't need to go into too graphic of detail because she's not yet old enough to comprehend that. As she grows and gets older, then you can explain things for that age that is appropriate for her. I have a 6 year old daughter as well, and she was Saved and Baptized recently. The Pastor told us that children only understand the Bible at their level of knowledge, just like we understand things at our level of knowledge. Does that make sense? Anyway, you did a good job, so don't worry about that. God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I probably would have said that humans were the ones who took Jesus' life, and what they did was wrong. Then it could have opened the door for a talk about Jesus' sacrifice for us, if she were at a place where she could understand it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• what a smart girl you have! i was never thinking stuff like that at 6!

i would have said something along the lines of Jesus making the choice to die. God didn't kill him, Jesus willingly stayed when he could have left before the soldiers came to get him.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Wait. ...how did God not kill Him if Jesus IS God? (i do know that not all believe in the trinity). which leads to the idea of suicide. If Jesus is God ...then didnt God commit suicide, knowing that people were going to kill Him and willing to allow it?
    Anonymous

• I told her Jesus CHOSE to die for us because we're sinners. Then I went into how EVERYONE is a sinner and we ALL have to be saved in order to get into heaven. That's why Jesus made the sacrifice he did.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Well, our children (at 11 or so, when it was appropriate to go into such details) learned that Christ died in order to encounter the "destroying angel" - death itself - and overcome it.

Instead of being overcome by death and forced to abandon His body, the way men had to, Christ succeeded in staying WITH His body, "descending into hell" (hell is another word in Greek for the grave") and wresting control of the condition of death away from Satan. Satan had begun to count on death being his domain and having power over human souls through death. Christ filled this domain with light and gave human souls after death His uplifting power to move forward and no longer get stuck

We didn't rub focus on the crucifixion until they were in 5th or 6th grade, when they were old enough to comprehend it along with the Resurrection. Before then, there were lots of appropriate stories about Christ.

Tell her that Christ died so (cont'd
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Tell her that Christ died so that he could go after Satan, into Satan's realm where he was keeping souls which had been too weak when they died to go on to heaven. Christ went after Satan and with his divine power he filled Satan's realm with light, triumphed over Satan, and He rescued all those souls. ... Just like He will rescue you and her whenever you need Him.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• First of all God did not kill his son, Jesus sacrificed Himself. There is a difference between killing someone and sacrificing. God did not put the nails in, the roman soldiers did. God did not sentence Jesus to the cross, the religious jews did.

The best way to answer her is to tell her about God's love. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree with Shan, that Jesus sacrificed himself...but you should be prepared to answer questions about God killing because there are other legitimate examples of that in the Bible (Soddom & Gomorrah).

The point of us not killing is that it's God's job to decide when it's someone's time to die or not - not ours.

Only God, with His perfect knowledge can know when it's the right time for someone to go.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Shaneagle,as well. No one forced Jesus onto that cross. He willingly got on it,and fulfilled God's will to save humanity from itself. I agree, tell her about God's love,that is the best way.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009