Medical assistant

Is that good to get into right now? would it be easier to find a job in that field or is a 2 year degree better in criminal justice? help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd say criminal justice. That gets you government jobs easier. Either in court or a 9-1-1 dispatcher. Either way, that would be my choice. Medical is too popular.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 3:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree that medical assisting is way too popular. Not to mention that even after your diploma there's only so much you can do so your career choices and salary would be limited. My husband just went back to school for pharmacy tech. There's only like 20 people in his class and there's a few things he can get into when he graduates that all pay pretty well. But personally I'd be more interested in criminal justice. But BTW dispatching jobs are also very popular. Here they only hire every few months and you have to line up for HOURS at 5:00am even for the possibility to snag an interview time.
    Anonymous

• Look at all the various jobs that are being advertised in your area and then try to choose a career that interests you the most.
    For my area, there are a ton of openings for MAs. I was told by my daughter's OB doc that they can't keep enough of them because most of the MAs go back to college to specialize in a particular area of healthcare.
    I earned a degree in MA up in ME and it wasn't required up there to be certified to work as one. Ten years later, we move down to VA and I can't get a job as one until I become certified by the state. It's been 10 years since I took the courses that I can't remember all the things that I haven't had to use in my jobs, so I know I won't pass the test.
    My advice, if you decide to become a MA, is to become certified so you can have credentials and get a good job.
    Best wishes to you and on your decision.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009