1,2,3......Magic

I saw this flyer that is supposed to help parents that are having a problem with discipline and stuff with their kids from 2 - 12. I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this method and if it works.
Thanx!

lisakm

Asked by lisakm at 3:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I bought the book and read it. When I remember to use it, it works GREAT! The biggest problem for me is remembering to stay calm - no yelling, scolding, angry faces, etc. Pure calm. When I manage to do that, my daughter almost always quickly does what I asked. When I forget and get angry, everything becomes a battle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• So there is a book by this name?
    lisakm

Answer by lisakm at 4:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes...
    http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Effective-Discipline-Children/dp/1889140163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246392852&sr=8-1

Lots of libraries have it on hand too. It was always checked out of my library, with a long waiting list, so I finally just bought my own copy.

Mainly, you "count" bad behaviors. A simple "That's 1"... "That's 2"... and finally "That's 3, take 5 (or however long a time out is needed)". But the key point is to stay calm and to not recognize all the pleading, baddgering, and back-talking as bad behaviors too. The warnings give the child a chance to think about it and decide to obey - just like getting a warning ticket from a police officer or a "talking to" by your boss. After that, the book stresses GOOD interactions with your child as being the true foundation of a well behaved child.
    It's been very helpful for me - consistency is still my weak point though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Oh and check out the reviews at Amazon... 4.5 stars out of 307 reviews. It doesn't work for all families (nothing works for everyone) but it works for lots of us.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Works for us!
    momofc

Answer by momofc at 5:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I heard it was good and so was Parenting with Love and Logic. Both are on this link as well as other discipline books. Yes, do read the reviews to help you with deciding which to choose.  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=15

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my parents tried it when we were younger, it did nothing for our family. there were 7 kids though, it's hard to herd that many lol. i've read the book, and i like some of the ideas. staying calm, good interaction, not yelling, and whatnot, but i don't find the counting as necessary. at least not for our family.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009