As opposed to asking for a percentage raise, he should ask for a reasonable salary based on comparable salaries. www.salary.com is where he should start.
There are also non-monetary alternatives to a raise:
1) The ability to atend/present at a conference that a person in your job might not ordinarily attend
2) A change in title or responsibility that will serve you internally and/or externally
3) The ability to participate in a project or task force that's especially desirable for contacts and/or resume fodder
4) An introduction to and/or regular opportunities for interaction with important customers, members of the organization' s top leadership team or your CEO
5) A roadmap (your manager's stamp of approval is the key) for your
career progress and (budgets allowing) compensation progress in your department. If this is created, even with bunches of caveats in it, make sure HR and your boss's boss get a copy of it.
at 7:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009