Is it right for our military to refuse people who are homosexual ?

I watched a documentary the other day where two 19 yr olds (one female & one male) came to enlist for the army,they had to answer yes or no to the question if they were gay.They did and then they were refused to be able to enlist.What I dont get is our soldiers are loosing lives daily and it has been stated that we need more soldiers,but yet the military is willing to risk lives due to not having enough military support than to suck it up and let someone who is gay enlist and fight for their country. What does who these peole sleep with have to do with their ability to fight for this country.

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am totally againt gay and lesbian rights. I think the less rights they have the better. Its not natural for same sex relations, so the more rights they have the more same sex relationships there will be, which will screw up this world!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. I think we should form a gay platoon and put them on the front lines.
    Anonymous

• That's just a military rule/Law..Just like the Boy scouts have the same rule/Law.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• ok - troll gets #1 spot...

No that doesn't make sense to me - when you have a volunteer military; and you are running low on sign ups; you would think you'd want anyone physically fit enough to qualify - who they sleep with should be none of their business.

Do they also ask (and then deny) people if they're currently having an affair? I consider adultry to be a MUCH worse "offense" than just being yourself...stands to reason if it matters who you're having sex with it should matter for everyone right? If the army is about 'mandating' morals; then they should do so across the board...oh wait; they have to kill people to do their job don't they; well guess we'll have to cross that off the list...

idiots...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• What happened to 'don't ask; don't tell'?
    Anonymous

• WOW! points up.. Ok so I asked this to a man in my family, he said well they can't let gays in because they will be flirting the whole time and if they had sex could be spreading diseases. Here's my thoughts. Could a man and woman NOT do the SAME thing? just because they are gay does that they cant take something seriously? I honestly don't understand why gays have rights (or lack of) any different than ours. and how gays bother people.. I really don't understand that its not like YOU have to be gay because you know a gay. In my opinion its like abortion, just because its legal doesn't mean you HAVE to get one. Why should one group be able to decide for EVERYONE as a whole? Aren't we all suppose to be different? With different beliefs? Or we would all be a bunch of robots walking around.. Does this make sense?

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't agree with their lifestyle, but it shouldn't be an issue when they are defending their country. They live here, they should be allowed to defend it if that is what they want to do. Besides, why was that question even asked of the two recuits? I went to sign up for the military a few years ago...went through the whole process at MEPS, and never once got asked that question.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Gays shold ahve all teh rigths any AMERICAN citizan has including teh right to marry. I didn't choose to be straight and they do not choose to be gay
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I can understand why other soldiers may not want to have to serve next to someone who's gay. They're probably worried that if they're wounded, and the gay person possibly has AIDS, they wouldn't want to have to come into contact with their blood. Before anyone goes off, I KNOW it's not just gay people who get AIDS, but the likelihood of someone being gay having it is greater.

Anonymous

• I don't agree with their lifestyle,but yes they should be able to join the military.They are part of this country to.
    Anonymous