Why does my husband make the same stupid mistake over and over and over again.

He doesn't check the account!! He pays a bunch of bills before he checks the $$ and leaves us $100 in a hole!!! He always feels bad and says he's sorry but he continues to do it! He just wrote a check after the card was declined....DUH!! Ahhhh I'm so pissed. He always buys things without checking, or buys stuff we don't need. I tell him to keep his receipts and I'll balance for him but he can't even do that! I can't get a separate account because we are living off his work comp and I don't make enough to pay bills out of a separate account! What do I do? Treat him like a little kid and take all checks and cards away and give him allowance?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yup, that's what you do! And make sure he checks with you before he purchases anything. And don't let him buy anything you don't need.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 4:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• that's what i would do if he can't be responsible enough to let you know what he spends so you can keep track...that would make me mad too!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• agree with the other two people.. treat him like a chld until he learns
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I had to confencate all my DH's debit and credit cards.Cause he is like a kid when it comes to money..He knows he is bad with money.
    He earns the money,,And I pay the bills..
    I told him when we get the bill straight he can have them back. Maybe.

Answer by louise2 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I definitely don't agree with treating your husband like a child. He is not a child and he deserves respect. What we did (when my husband was doing similar things) was I sat down and told him my fears about no having money because his spending habits were out of control. I told him that I didn't want to stress out everyday and lose sleep at night because of having no money or being afraid we couldn't pay the bills. It made him see things through my eyes for once and he totally stopped (this was during the first year of our marriage-we have been married for 6 years now) now when he is going to buy something he always checks our bank account and asks me what bills we have coming up to pay. It is great now, he understands...and I didn't need to treat him like a child or anything of that nature.

Anonymous

• my mom gives my dad an allowance, i think if thats the only thing that will work, then thats what ya need to do, until he learns.
    Anonymous

• Well anon 424 we've already been through this, he worries about it too, but he still does it. I wish it really worked that way. He's not buying toys or anything, just stuff we don't need at the time like grass seed or patio pavers or something. I think I'm going to have to regulate his spending.
    Anonymous

• yes thats exactly what you do! be honest with him and tell him from now on you are taking over all the bills and money. If he wants something you will see if there is money. Get him a book or take him to a class on money management. Be supportive but dont' let your credit and family suffer because of his inability to manage money.
    squeeker_momma

Answer by squeeker_momma at 4:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would just pay the bills and let him know whats in the account but not letting him think you are controling cause really when you treat a guy like a child he will rebel against what you are doing then other family member will think bad of you cause you are trying to control him.
    Anonymous

• I handle all of our finances. We budget on the computer, and keep track on there as well. We have "personal" spending accounts to buy things we want, and as long as we're within budget there, he knows it's ok to spend. If he's buying something expensive, he'll usually check with me to see which account to use. I pay all the bills, balance the checkbook, etc. He's just not organized that way, which is fine, I actually enjoy doing it and it works well for us.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 4:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2009