What is your religion's views on MENSTRUATION?

Is it a time of "uncleanliness"?
or a time of Your Greatest Power?

Is it seen as something to be ashamed of?
or a great honor?

Is it something never mentioned?
or is there a special ceremony for when a girl has her first period?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its not unclean, its more of a symbol of a womans power(even if its a HUGE pain in the arse).
    Although it should be celebrated...I dont really have any desire to LOL. Definately a milestone in a young womans life tho.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Its a break from sex :)
    Anonymous

• HA HA anon 14, I like your answer, I just think of it as a fact of live, its not bad or good it just is what it is, sound like paula now..sorry
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It's a pain in the ass-area!!
    Anonymous

• I don't really have a religious belief about it. I do think it is a time of annoyance and pain, though.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Some Pagans do a sort of ritual thing of coming into womanhood at the time a girl begins her menstration but other then that, i think it's just seen as part of being a woman. Just like any other part of being a woman, it is something to be celebrated.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think it's utterly disgusting, and I have many sensory issues with it. But not as an atheist; as an autistic person. It's something I usually don't even like to acknowledge, concerning myself or anyone else (I really can't believe I'm even answering this question.) I do think this is an area many ASD girls need some degree more of advanced prep to get accustomed to, rather that just being told, "it's gonna happen; deal with it." Which, of course, has nothing to do with religion. It may be a fact of life, but it's sure a nasty one. Intellectually now, I know it is is inevitable; yet every time, it's like a betrayal by my body. And the difference between myself and my normally-wired daughter is staggering.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It just is what it is.

We see motherhood and womanhood as sacred, and periods are part of that package deal, but there's no special focus on the period itself.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have the power to be a "B" and everyone will blame it on the hormones. It's gross, dirty and stains on the undies.
    Anonymous

• "its a curse... read Genesis... "

You don't think it's just the unused "padding" for the baby that you didn't use because you didn't get pregnant that month??? If it's something the baby needs to survive in your womb, how can it be a curse? Just curious.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2009