Why are some kids so scared of so many things?

My step son is almost 4 and has almost every fear I can think of. He doesn't like slides because they are too high, he doesn't like anything less than a dim light (he will pee his pants if the bathroom light isn't on and nightlights are no help) and he is scared of stairs. He started to cry when we saw a baby alligator at the zoo in the zoo keepers hands that was a foot long. I understand a fear of the dark and heights but to have ALL these fears? What makes a kid this insecure? I'm guessing that is the root of the problem. We explain what we are going to do before we do it and that me and daddy are here to keep him safe. Do you have anyother suggestions or reasons why this is? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• what was/is his mother like? I know my SIL's first daughter was born a worrier but she didn't help by adding comments like "don't run, you will break your leg" or don't go into the sun you will get cancer and die" stuff like that - and when you are born a worrier anyway, those comments just add to it - but I know some kids are just born who and how they are also - I was born very shy - my sister, with the same patenrts was totally outgoing -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think it is sometimes just the way some kids/adults are.... Of course, it can be made worse by situations in the child's life, or better by how it is handled. I think it would be a mistake to isolate him too much and let him give in to all the fears because I think that might make it worse in the long run. But, I also think it would make it worse to push him too hard and not take his fears seriously. It is hard... My son is somewhat anxious too. I think you might want to get some professional advice from someone who knows about anxiety in kids and can see the boy and get to know more about him and his fears. He will probably always be somewhat anxious but you don't want to do anything to make it worse....and you want to see him have the highest quality of life possible!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• because all parents do is molly coddle their kids and talk about things they're scared of themselves.
    Anonymous