5 Day old newborn with jaundice..Could Breast milk aggervate condition?

A friend of mine has a 5 day old baby who has jaundice, the baby came home with a bili light, and is nursed constantly, and the mom has given her 'sun baths" but the jaundice is not improving. She (my friend) is worried her breastmilk is aggravating the condition, could this be the case?

What are suggestions for alleviating the jaundice from the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• That is ridiculous!!! Breastfeeding constantly is crucial in helping the jaundice. Baby may not be getting enough milk yet since in five days milk may still not yet be all there. She should try supplementing with formula and continue constantly nursing. The pooping and peeing is what gets the billi out of the system. I had a baby with a billi count of 32!!! I learned a lot about it! Feed, feed feed feed!!!!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have to agree feeding is what moves the jaundice out of the body!!! IT IS WHAT IS NEEDED!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my kids had severe jaundice too, and if it was as bad, they wouldnt of let her go home with the treatment. I tried...I had to supplement for 6 hours both times, and after blood test confirmed it was going down, went back to nursing. but I wouldnt supplement unless the pedetrician recommeds it.. How do you know its not getting better, blood tests? It takes some time for the actual skin to change. My DD first read at a 32 and after being in the hospital for 7 days 24 hr treatment, she was still not normal color until after we were home a bit. I would think they would admit the baby if was going up or at a standstill. Have her call her ped.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• NO!!! 110% NO!
    babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I found out there is more to it and yes she thinks cause she's still yellow that it's not getting better. I told her she may stay yellow even a few days after her levels drop. And to keep nursing offering every 30 minutes if she has too since the baby has nipple confusion from not being able to nurse at the hospital while on the lite(expressed milk in bottle). I keep telling her this too shall pass and make her so help with their 2 year old more or find a sitter for him for a day or so while she gets her nursing routine back.
    Anonymous

• I answered your other question too... but I will add that jaundice can take a long time to not look yellow and it will stay in the face for a long time.
    If she is having trouble breastfeeding then she should get intouch with someone to help with that.
    Breastfeeding can lead to jaundice if the baby is dehydrated because of not eating well or the milk hasn't come in yet or things like that that can be corrected with help.
    Breastmilk jaundice is very rare... and that is where the breastmilk itself causes the jaundice...
    I'm a pedicatrics nurse and I have only seen breastmilk jaundice once out of all the kids I've seen
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO!!! Keep nursing that baby and waking them up to do it every 2-3 hours. SInce jaundice often makes them sleepy then wake the baby up to eat. My kids were jaundice and I was instructed to NURSE that baby as often as possible.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2009