would you let your 6 yr old ride bike alone?

my oldest is 6.5 and I never let him ride alone, let alone be outside alone. Not to take away from a tragedy of a 6yr old taken off her bike in her complex in my state. But even when my nephews are here, and he's 10, I dont let him ride alone either. Im not sure what the right age is, I was home alone at such a young age, but I just can't even see in to the future far enough to know when I'll be comfortable with it. What age did you start?

Kerinmomof2

Asked by Kerinmomof2 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not even my 10 year old.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My son is 5 YO and just learned to ride with no training wheels! YAY! lol anyway....No I don't let my boys out of my sight! If they are then i go looking for them....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I started riding on my own when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, but I was a bit of a latchkey kid. I'd say 12 is the youngest age to let a kid ride alone.
    Anonymous

• nEVER...........seriously, the way this world is i don't think i'll ever let them out of my sight, i'll be that mom thats on all the feild trips at school, or when they a hanging with their friends, i'll be in the bushes "watching" hahaa, really tho.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• OK, me living in podunk USA, I'd let an 8 yr. old who is secure on their bike ride down the street and back. For them to go wondering on their own, I'd say 10 or 11. Of course, I think alot would have to do with the maturity of the child as well. So my dd probably not anytime before 12 or 13 to even ride down the street alone.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think it really depends on where you live. I live in the coutry and let my six year old ride down the trail which is the equivelent of a side walk when we are outside. I wouldn't allow it in the city. I think kids need to be taught about safety in number's and shouldn't go anywhere alone.
    Anonymous

• No! I have a friend who lets her son ride his bike to church by himself (about a mile away). I think she's crazy, personally. My son is 9 1/2 and I can't even imagine being comfortable letting him ride off on his own. Hmmm...maybe 12? It depends on the kid, and where you live, but I err on the cautious side.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Ha ha - Iluvmygirlies42, I'm the same way! I go on every field trip, volunteer in the schools so I can see what's going on, don't let them play at friends houses when I don't know their parents, etc. etc. It's just not worth the risk...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 5:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I can't blame you with the way the world is. I don't believe children are safe at any age (13, 16...), definitely not 6! I have a 6 year old nephew, and my sister lets him ride alone in the back yard because it has a fence and she leaves the door open so she can see him. She would never let him go down a street or anything alone, and I can't imagine ever feeling comfortable letting my 3 month old go off at any age. :P I think I was 13 or 14 when I was really allowed to just ride off.
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 5:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I live in rural Alabama. My kids wander everywhere...LOL! And have for years. My 14yr old just took a plane, by himself, to Atlanta, then changed planes and flew to Omaha to meet his grandfather. In reality, your kids are in more danger from people you KNOW than from strangers...that's just statistical fact. I don't think we do our kids a good service when we make them fearful of the world and the people in it. Better to teach them how to navigate the world and the to avoid the dangers in it in a smart way...to protect themselves and look out for themselves. I've always taught my kids to be smart and observant...not fearful and suspicious.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009