Do you sew???

I have asked for a machine for my BIG 30yr old bday, i just know i can make my outfits lokk like cosmoz.. LOL

ArlieBeeMee

Asked by ArlieBeeMee at 5:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I can sew a mean blanket. I got a machine for christmas and still have only sewed blankets and pillow cases. I'm a champ at that. I haven't tried clothes yet. I'm a little scared.
    casd

Answer by casd at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• oh and Happy b-day (early or late don't know when it is)
    casd

Answer by casd at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I can't! My mom actually bought me a really nice sewing machine and I got so frustrated that I gave up almost right away, lol. I'm horrible with stuff like that. If a hem needs sewn in our house, my husband does it, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It takes some practice to sew clothes so try to find more simple patterens to start with.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I love to sew, expecially baby things, but have'nt done much lately because the grandkids are teen now and so it seems only home dec. would be the best to spend time on . Getting ready to make curtains as soon as the fabric get here that I ordered.
    DorisJ

Answer by DorisJ at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• For anyone a little intimidated about sewing clothes, I know of a very simple pattern for a girl's outfit. I got the pattern at Walmart for a couple of dollars. The top has flaps that come around the back and button at the shoulder and then it has little bloomers you make. The top is two pieces, the outside and the lining, and all you have to do is sew around it with right sides together leaving an opening and then turn it right side out then close the opening. Sew the buttons on, make buttonholes and voila the most adorable baby/girls outfit.

Here is a link to the pattern for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/McCalls-Easy-Stitch-n-Save-M4421-Infants-Dresses_W0QQitemZ260395554203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca0c8d59b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It is too adorable and so easy to make. I have made so many of them.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Doris, do you quilt? If not, it would be a great way to still make things for your grandchildren. You could make a memory quilt out of sports jerseys, or cheerleading outfits, etc. assuming that the kids don't mind you cutting them up.

My dad came in one day and caught me cutting up my old FFA jacket and about had a fit. lol But I asked him 'what am I supposed to do with it? wear it around the house to do my cleaning?' So I made a quilt from it for my brother who was really into the whole FFA thing.

I quilt mostly, but I do make some clothes for my little one. I am making a cute quilt from a nursery rhyme book pattern. Instead of making it into the book, I cut the pages apart and sewed them in as blocks. I will hand quilt the motifs. And I have a quilt for my mom made from beautiful fabrics with flags and stars and one really pretty one with the statue of liberty. (con't)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• And I have now made two more quilt tops mostly from the scraps from my mom's quilt.

For my family's Christmas get-together, rather than buy gifts, the adults all make something and then we play Dirty Santa to see who gets which gift. You know, we really enjoy this so much more than we ever enjoyed exchanging gifts. Anyway, I watch for panels, especially religious ones to make into quilts and then bring for my Dirty Santa gift. I made a manger scene panel quilt two years ago, and a tree skirt and stockings last year. This year it is another, different manger scene. I will hand quilt around all of the details and then watch the fight for it come Christmas. LOL.

I really love quilting, but I must say that it is highly addictive. I have nearly twenty quilts in the various stages of work, some just planned, some cut, some sewn, and some basted. It drives me crazy to see them sitting there waiting to be finished.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009