Custody of my 7 week old

I have a feeling my ex may be trying to file for custody/visitation of my 7 week old sometime in the near future. I can't even imagine sending her to stay with him! He was not around at all during my pregnancy. He was around for the 1st week after she was born, and then has seen her twice in the last 6 weeks. He has not called at all in the last 3 weeks. He has not bought her as much as a can of formula. Does anyone have any experience with this? He works 2 weeks in texas and then is home for 2 weeks. He mentioned trying to get her for the whole 2 weeks he is home. I can't even begin to imagine sending her with him for 2 weeks!!! What do you think would happen in this scenario? (like I said, he works half the month out of town, plus he has 2 felonies, one in which is for menacing. I on the other hand, have no record, make pretty good money, and have been with her since day 1.) Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OP: when I first told him I was pregnant he said that he didn't want anything to do with it, that he would be more than happy to just send a check once a month. He went back and forth on this the whole 9 months I was pregnant. At one point he told me to "go find a husband and I will sign the kid over."
    Anonymous

• This sounds horrible but nurse that baby!!! The courts will have a harder time giving him extended visitation if you are nursing. My lawyer told me that if he has no contact with my or my daughter for 2 years that he would be stripped of any rights if he ever files. You'll have to check to see what it is in your state. It isn't worth dealing with their crap...my daughter is 11 months old and I have raised her from day 1 with no help...you can do it! GL Momma!
    Anonymous

• Well my best guess is he will NOT get custody. That is almost a given(not positive though) but he may get visitation and you can always request SUPERVISED visitation due to him not paying you anything and the felonies. He does realize that if he goes for visitation then he WILL be paying child support? I would talk to a lawyer. They usually don't charge for a consultation. GL!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about it. First of all, he has a record which will work against him, plus if you're nursing you'll need to be with the baby, he hasn't offered any kind of support....and I agree with the above poster. If he talks to a lawyer they may talk him out of it once he realizes he'll have to pay child support! He will DEFINITELY not get custody of her, and as for visitation I bet it would be supervised - or you should push for that if it comes to it.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009