WTF is with my hair???

Ok, when I was a kid (up until I started dying my hair about 6.5 years ago), I was a natural blonde. I'm talking like platinum blonde with a slight golden/red tint. However, since I was born, my roots have been brown. I don't know why, but most of the women in my family have this. The redheads, the brunettes (well, they have black roots), the blondes...we all have it. Now, when my hair starts growing out, I have dark roots down my hairline and at certain places throughout the rest of my hair. The part at my neck in the back is almost black. But after those grow out like 1/2 an inch, they turn light blonde. Then the rest of it grows out cotton colored. WTF? Is this normal? I've never seen this before and neither have my friends or husband, and no one else in my family is like this. What do I do? Should I just dye it one of those colors? If so, which one???

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• WOW I bet that looks pretty cool looking or at least funky! No offense. Try a nice medium or dark brown maybey. I don't know alot about hair.
    noel24

Answer by noel24 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry, I could probably answer your question but I'm a little confused! Your re growth is dark and it turns light after it grows out? If so find a medium brown color because your re growth will be really strong if you go lighter, but you don't want to be harsh and go black either. I do hair! I guess it would be easier if I could see it!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The first 1/2 inch or so of my hair has always been dark, since I was born. Now, only parts of it are dark, but some comes back platinum blonde (which is what color all of my hair is after it grows out more than 1/2 an inch). For example, my roots around my crown and most of my hairline are medium brown. The roots below that, like level with my temples all the way around my head, are very light blonde, then the very lowest layer of my hair (level with the bottom of my ears) is almost black. But it's just the roots that are those colors, except for the part that is light blonde because ALL of my hair is light blonde after the first 1/2 inch.

Does that make more sense? It's really hard to explain!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It may be shadows from the way the light hits it. Get a really bright light and shine it directly at your roots and see if they are really dark, or if they just look that way. If it really bothers you, experiement with some SEMI-permanent dyes in some nice light brown or light warm brown colors and see if that makes the roots and main parts sort of blend together.
    Anonymous

• It's not the light. I've been out in the sun and had other people look at it, as well as under other bright lights.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2009