Do any of you have a family member with alzheimers?

My 60 yr old step father has it and his dr. is suprised at how fast its progressing.I was just wondering how long it was before your family member started to forget who people were.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Health

• My FIL has it and I have 20 years experience with the elderly. Alz. is different for each person. Here is a good website that may be helpful to you: Alzheimers Association http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_what_is_alzheimers.asp
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I used to work with alzheimer elderly patients, it is different with every person.
    Anonymous

• I wholeheartedly believe alzheimers is a new diagnosis. I have been around great grandparents that could have been diagnosed that and weren't cuz it was not around. So yes I have alzheimer people in my family but u should note alzheimers is not limited to the old senior citizens some younguns get it too.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have a family member who has it. It appears that she's had it for 12 years. She no longer can care for herself, but she does recognize her husband, although not always knowing who he is. She does not feed herself. She is getting PT for walking since she's forgotten how to walk. She became very incapacitated about 5 years ago.

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My husband's grandmother has it. She's probably had it about two years now, possibly longer, but that is when we started to notice her forgetting stuff. Last summer my MIL moved her from Nebraska to be close to her in CA and that is when they realized how bad she had gotten. At Thanksgiving she didn't know who her grandkids were at times and she thinks her daughter (my MIL) is her sister. It's a horrible disease and is really hard on the family.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The younger the person is, the quicker the disease progresses. Is there a brain center near your step-dad? He may be eligible for a new drug trial.
    My mom has Alztheimers; feel free to contact me. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009