Do you sell Crocheted or Knitted crafts on ETSY?

I love to Crochet (idol hands and all) and my husband has recently gotten frustrated with me. I spend a month or more making these throws and blankets and such, sometime whole baby or bedroom sets, and then just give them away as gifts. To me, this is the best part! The look on their faces when they realize that they mean so much to you that you would take all this time and make them a (if I do say so myself) beautiful blanket. I love that! It is a way for me to show you how much I care.

But, times are tight, and blankets cost at least $40 each to make, besides the labor. He wants me to start selling them on ETSY. This has always seemed an unlikely prospect to me, considering how much time they take to make. I always pictured ETSY to be sort of an order-it-how-you-want-it sort of marketplace, not finished items. And if they did sell, it would take me months to make another. Is it worth it? Share your stories with me please.

mamasings

Asked by mamasings at 6:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I sell crocheted items on Etsy, but I don't do blankets because there is no way I could sell them for anywhere near what they are worth.

I would not consider Etsy an order it how you want it marketplace. Lots of finished items are sold there.

If it takes you months to crochet a blanket then there is no way it would be worth your while to sell them. I crochet fairly quickly and still don't get a lot for my time, although I have raised prices a bit to help with that.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 10:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would say maybe try a venue that is free liek artfire.com, madeitmyself.com? Get a few samples up and see how it goes. Customers expect custom work to take no more than 1 week tops. Most items are listed as finished on Etsy and some sellers welcoem custom requests. :)

We have a team on here for mamas who sell tehir handmade items if you want to join! Cafemom Street Team if you are looking for help and ideas :)

Amy
    Admin, Cafemom Street Team
    www.mamaslittlemonkeys.com
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• How many do you have in stock?

Have you thought about marketing on multiple sites?

I think that's the best way to get full exposure. I know where you can get a free website. Or your can start an ebay store. Amazon, I have tons of women who make things and sell on myspace. I haven't heard of Etsy, but if it's free it's advertisement. I can help you look for more ideas. I think that'd be a great start for you instead of putting all of your eggs in one basket. If you had a site, I have resources for free link exchanges and search engine submissions.

Email me and I'll help you out. You can also check my blog. I think there's an ebook on there about starting a business doing knitting. I would love to be as talented as you.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• thank you all! I will look into these options! Anyone want a blanket? LOL!!
    mamasings

Answer by mamasings at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• I sell Legwarmers on Etsy and help with income. I highly recommend you do.
    kitty410

Answer by kitty410 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't use etsy because there are just too many people posting on there. I use www.bigcartel.com to list my items. It is completely free no listing charges and you can list as long as you want and still no fee. If you want to sell these crafts for what they are worth get yourself involved in craft shows, bazaars, and other events where vendor's can set up a table. People at these events are ready to pay what you craft is worth. Plus you don't have to mess with shipping and pay pal. I would also make or order some business cards and pass them out at parades and other community events. Think anywhere politicians are handing out stuff you should be too. That will generate leads to your website This is how I do it and it's very successful. Don't rely just on etsy or you will get no where. Besides they have posting fees. www.bigcartel.com/tangledbyk
    khayleyb

Answer by khayleyb at 6:42 PM on May. 11, 2011