When did you start trying finger foods with your child?

My daughter always tries to stick her hand in the baby food and feed herself, or grab the bowl and stick it up to her mouth, or grab the spoon from me. I let her try to feed herself twice, and both times it was VERY messy! LOL!

I've let her try out teething crackers; I'll give her one every now and then and she nibbles on them very well.

When did you try finger foods? Pre- or post- 9 months?? Or should I try chunky baby foods to see if she can chew yet?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 6:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how old they have to be but gerber makes those puffs that dissolve quickly in thier mouth. I know my daughter loved those. She was also very independent. Usually if i gave her something to play with while she was eating she would not grab what i was using to feed her.
    julesgirls

Answer by julesgirls at 2:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i started around 9 months. soft stuff like bananas, avacados,pears, bread
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• 9 months sounds about right for finger foods.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My daughter hated chunky baby food. But at 8 months I started giving her gerber puffs so try. She did great right away. I was scared to death she was gonna choke, but she was fine.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 1:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Julesgirls: lol! I would try that, but she sticks anything and everything in her mouth! If I give her a toy, it'll be covered in green beans :-P haha
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009