How do I get my puppy to alert me that he needs to go outside?

He will go to the back door, but he will not make any noise. If no one sees him, he will go to the bathroom in front of the door or near the door. We tried hanging a bell by the door, but he just played with it instead. Any advice would be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Can you block the back door and make him go to the front so you can see him? If you start taking him out the front he might get the idea that he has to go to that door.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Pay close attention. Our pups go sit in front of the back door also which is not visible from the kitchen and I have trained (lol) myself to always be aware of where they are. You can train them to a bell, I have heard of that, but you have to do the training they don't know to do it with out being taught. I would google it to see how to train them to it. I don't know how old your puppy is but eep in mind they don't have real control of there bladder till around 12 or 13 weeks. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• I would take my puppies to the door and hold a treat in my hand. Then, I would let them smell the treat and hold it just above their nose to where they had to put their front claws on the door and stand on their hind legs to reach the treat. As they slid down and made the 'scratch' sound, I would then open the door and give them the treat and let them outside. This worked great! Gradually, I took the treat away and just tapped my fingers on the door above their heads and they would again, jump up and scratch. Each time they scratched, I would ALWAYS open the door. To this day, my dog will scratch to go out, just to look around...LOL! But I always open it when she scratches.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009