At what age did you start feeding your baby cereal? What kind was it?

My baby is 3.5 months now. Her last pediatrician visit was about a month ago, and she doesn't have another one until August. She weighed about 12.5 pounds, and was already holding her head up to look around. She can now roll from her stomach to her back, and can live her body up for about a minute at a time before she goes back to the ground. I had asked the Pedi then if I could start her on cereal before our next visit in August, and he said it was up to her.

Formula doesn't seem to be enough. She is eating 8-10 ounces at each feeding and seems crabby. I am not looking to use it to put her to sleep because she sleeps from about 10 pm to 7 am. I am just hoping to make her full.

I have both Gerber brand rice/barley cereal, as well as Beech brand rice/barley cereal. I even have a mixed fruit rice cereal made by Gerbers. The directions say to mix 1 tbsp cereal w/ 4tbsp milk.

When did you start? On what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started at 3 month with both my kids, they did great. just remember all babies are different. watch for signs and start out really runny. do not put the baby cereal in a bottle, spoon feed only. it will be messy but they will get the hang of it.
    be ready for mommas to start bashing you, alot of them will.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my baby was 3 months. i just used the normal parent choice baby cereal. no flavor..Mixed lil with baby formualm and he loved
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 6:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You can start now! I always started mine with the rice cereal. And of course alittle breastmilk or formula mixed in.

http//:www.sarahs4sweetboys.com
    ellies3boys

Answer by ellies3boys at 6:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I started rice cereal with milk when she was 3 months old. Barley and oatmeal is also fine to introduce right now, but don't give her any mixed cereal for awhile, especially the fruits. I would do rice cereal for about a month before introducing anything else because their digestive systems are still sensitive at that age.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No baby should have anything besides breastmilk or formula until AT LEAST four months of age! Wait a couple weeks on it! Maybe she's crabby because she's gassy. Just try offering her more formula. NO CEREAL FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!!!!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I never gave my son that stuff, it's just a filler. Breast milk was all he had until he was six months.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 7:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I just started this week, my daughter is 4 months.
    She loves it, opens her mouth right up and eats it just fine.
    I only give her about 1tbsp a day, before we have our dinner.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009