3 year check up

what goes on at the 3 year check up.... do they get shots? anything i need to remember to ask?

our dr is super speedy and i forget things a lot..

thanks

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There should not be any shots unless your child is not up to date. As far as asking any questions that would only be if you have any concerns about your child and his or her development. Other than that I am sure that your doctor will handle the rest. As you start to think of questions write them down so when you are there you can pull the paper out and ask the questions.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• At my daughters they just did the basic stuff, looked her over, measured and weighed her, did her blood pressure. She checked her teeth but we've already had her to the dentist. Um.. asked about her speech, if she can draw a circle (she drew the doc a person so she was happy about that), if she knew her name.. I think that was about it. It was pretty basic, took less time than my sons 6mo check up at the same time.

No shots either.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• At our three year appointment my son's dr really started asking him questions rather than directing them to me. The dr talked a bit about safety, asked him what he put on his head to go out and ride his bike and if he always gets strapped in in the car. No shots unless you're on a special schedule.

If you have any specific issues you want to discuss then make a note of them before going in. I find it's best to give the list to the nurse doing the initial part of the exam; they can take care of any small issues or administrative stuff (if your son is starting preschool in the fall you might want to ask about getting medical forms completed) and start any tests that might need doing. Apart from that it should just be basic physical exam, maybe a finger prick for lead test depending on your state law and the dr's policy.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2009