• In the Spotlight:

Family & How would you deal with it?

My Daughter's Birthday party was Saturday, my cousins son brought his DS and lost it. Her son doesn't listen to anything that anybody tells him. He carried my Daughter to the top of a steep set of stairs and left her there. I caught her before she went down the stairs, it was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. After I told him not too. He was laughing about it. He is 6 years old and has a 8month old little brother. My cousin never reacted to it, like it was nothing. Anyway... Now their accusing my Husband of stealing his DS, I believe I will be ending all communication with my Family. My husband would NEVER steal from a 6 year old, he has several gaming systems. I couldn't believe it came out of their mouths. What would you do????

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 7:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is totally absurd and you should say it, flatly, with zero emotion. Don't breathe any life into this accusation at all. It's ridiculous and likely the stupid DS will show up at some point and you can say that if it does you'll be sure to return it. With regard to the child at the top of the stairs, if you see one more incident like that, I'd call CPS or tell her you're going to. I can't believe it, those people sound like neanderthals.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It was my Daughter's 1st Birthday and my FAMILY fought the whole time. My Aunt & Uncle has a pool, all they done was argue & fight over the pool and how to get it fixed and blah, blah, blah. My cousins son the 6 year old, who led my daughter to the top of the stairs thinks that everything is funny (GOOD OR BAD). I mean he was carrying my Daughter and I was running after him, thankfully she ran behind the couch. These stairs were very steep, I mean he knows right from wrong at 6. My cousin did NOT say anything to him the whole time, he picked his 8month old Brother up and threw him on top of my Daughter yelling that "Zoey fell on top of Brayon". My husband would never steal anything, esp off of a 6 year old. My Aunt & Uncle has a big house and it could be anywhere. I just can't believe they pointed their fingers at my husband... I'm so disappointed my Daughter's Birthday turned out in yelling and arguments.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 7:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Invite them to come over and help look for it. And help them search their car, too.

We had a similar problem where my son lost a DS game and we thought one of his party guests took it by accident. I found it weeks later while picking up the playroom.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• He probably laid it down somewhere and anybody could have taken it. Children that age are not very responsible, and I doubt that this one is.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I am sorry your baby's party got ruined. I would certainly stop inviting them over. Aside from the absurd accusation (which I agree completely with the first poster about), the child is a serious threat to your baby. He's really a threat to his own brother too, but there's not a lot that you can do about that. If I believed someone was dangerous to my child, I don't care who it was, I'd not allow them near my son.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I get that he isn't responsible, but its the position that it put me & my husband in. Just because my Husband has an XBOX & PSP, they "Assume" that he took it right off the bat. Thank you (beckcorc), it's just sad that not even Family can get along for a Birthday Party. I doubt I will be going around my Family after this, I usually go in for Holidays because they live an 1 & 1/2 away. But I think this has done it for me with them being dysfunctional. I called my Mother earlier and she wouldn't even talk to me about it, She was like "Your going to have to figure it out on your own". My family isn't supportive!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 9:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• For your own piece of mind I would just stop having anything to do with them. I'm the black sheep in my family and I got tired of dealing with being made to feel like I wasn't good enough, I haven't seen them in 4 years and my life has been a lot more peaceful.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I do believe I will stop seeing them... My cousin called Today and I didn't answer!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009