moving to a toddler bed?

What is a good age to move to a toddler bed. my mom says to wait till she starts climbing out. But i don't want her to get hurt.

Katy1213

Asked by Katy1213 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We moved our oldest when he was three, but we moved him to a twin bed and saved the expense of a toddler bed. The younger one was about 18 months, when he started climbing out of the crib.

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My son was 11 months, and he did great considering he co-slept with us.
    MommyMeli07

Answer by MommyMeli07 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The most common guidelines seem to be when they can climb out or when they're 3. You can move them earlier it just may be more difficult as they don't understand the concept as well. Clearly, however, that depends on the child. We moved our son a 22 months and went directly toa regular bed. Saved the expense and hassle of another transition.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My parents bought my son a toddler bed when he was right at 1 and he did great with it. We moved when he was about 14 months and since then he won't sleep in his room. So he sleeps in our bed with us. He can climb on and off our bed and we made the transition from a crib to a toddler bed because he was climbing out of it.
    DStephens7

Answer by DStephens7 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You have to decide that yourself cuz only you know your child the best BUT I will say that crib tents are one of the best inventions ever. My son is almost 2 1/2 but I know he's not ready for a big boy bed yet. We bought a crib tent when he was around 18 months old cuz he learned how to climb out of his crib. So,anyways,a crib tent is another option for you if you know your daughter isn't ready to move up just yet. They have 2 different kinds,one that is just the top tent part and the other one has all around netting so they can't get stuck in the bars or whatever else they think to do. We bought the full enclosure one.
    HazlIdHarleyGal

Answer by HazlIdHarleyGal at 11:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009