Sippy cup...

Im going to start my Six month old on a sippy cup soon. Since its summer time can I just put water in it so she can get used to it!?!? If I can should I use bottled water!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They technically dont need water at 6 months of age. You could try and put her formula in the sippy cup and what she doesnt finish you could let her finish in a bottle so that way she is still getting all of the formula. I dont give my daughter bottled water unless you dont drink your tap i wouldnt really worry about it. bottled water is basically tap water just in a plastic bottle and more expensive.. My daughter couldnt use a sippy cup so i had to get her the nuby straw cups. They dot spill and it has handles. Good luck!
    Sammieda

Answer by Sammieda at 8:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I put juice in my 6 month olds cup. I also have put water..but thats up to you. Doctors will tell you they don't need water til later but I don't see how its gonna hurt really as long as they get some formula during the day/night as well.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We started a sippy with water at around 10 months. If you are going to introduce a sippy at six months, put breastmilk in it.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• water is fine, or watered down juice to give it some flavor. my son has been on a sippy since 5 months. at his 6 month apt the doc said as long as the juice is watered down he is fine to drink it. especially since it getting so hot out, they need more fluids than just there formula. the other day we were at the zoo and he gulp down 10 oz of juice/water at once haha. it was hot out and he was really thirsty. and he still drinks all his formula so hes getting the nutrition he needs.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 12:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009