What are some good ideas for a buget luau party?

My father-in-law's 50th birthday is coming up in september and I want to help my MIL plan it. So if anyone has any good ideas on what to cook, decorate with, etc let me know!

belovedmama08

Asked by belovedmama08 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I had a luau party for my sisters bachelorette party. I would suggest tiki torches, they can douple as insect repellant. There are cheap table cloths, decorations to hang from trees. One way to really add to the decor is to have the guests dress accordingly. With their Hawaiian shirts, leis, hula skirts, etc. Have fun!
    Mommy_Carebear

Answer by Mommy_Carebear at 8:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Go to www.OrientalTrading.com - you will find all kinds of great themed party supplies at really good prices, including an extensive collection of luau themed items. They have plastic coconut cups, leis, blow up decorations, games, grass skirts, umbrellas for drinks, and more! I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas, too.

Here is a direct link to the luau section: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/sharedFlowController.goToBrowseController.do?&requestURI=viewEndecaCategory&N=377343&origin=catalogCategory.jsp&cm_re=PS-_-MF1L1-_-F1L1&tabId=1
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Go to the 99 cent store for all your decorations and grilling gear they have alot of cute stuff.As for grilling hot dogs,hamburgers,grill chicken do not forget to season it.The basics chips,make differnet kinds of dips salsa,avocodo dip and french onion dip.I would say carne asada but it is like $4.00 a pound oh and you can make potatoes and don't forget to add sourcream,chives,butter and bacon bits but for that put it in the oven.Make koolaid and put in a coller with the push button.make jello for kidsand pudding.For desert get a box of lemon cake mix and cut it into slices or make a cake yourself..Oh yeah get ice cube trays and fill it with koolaid make differnt flavors and freeze it the kids will love it.Make a cupcake tray very inexpensive it will cost you $3.00 total the cake mix,icing and the tray from the 99cent store.Do not forget to add food coloring buy the white icing so you can make different colors.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 9:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• For the main meal you cannot go wrong with Hawaiian Haystacks (also called Chicken Sundaes). They look and sound weird and most people haven't had them, but they are so good and perfect for a hawaii themed meal. Also pretty darn cheap to make for a big group of people!

I ALWAYS USE:
    Cooked rice
    Cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces or shredded ( I shred mine)
    Pineapple tidbits
    Chopped green onions
    Diced tomatoes
    Grated Cheddar cheese
    Chow mein noodles
    Shredded Coconut
    Chopped Cashews

Other people I know also use or substitue other things out with:
    Toasted almonds (slivered)
    Chopped green pepper
    Chopped celery
    Sliced water chestnuts

SIMPLE CHICKEN GRAVY:
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 can water or chicken broth

OR
    I usually make a richer sauce:

2 cans cream of chicken soup
    milk to thin it to desired thicken
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Okay now to build your Haystack! I ususally make this for a group so it's all laid out BUFFET STYLE.

1. Rice on plate ( take less than you think you normally would...these things get massive with all the toppings and hard to eat if you take too much! You can always get more if you don't take enough!)

2. Top rice with Gravy

3 Add toppings! Yes, ALL OF THEM! LOL!

Seriously the flavor combo is amazing. I always use everything in the first list I gave you. Actually, no, I don't usually put tomatoes on mine, but I always have them there for others.

My hubby only uses the gravy,cheese, chinese noodles ,and green onions. He doesn't like cashews, pineapple or coconut. I always tell him he's missing out!

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• ** For some reason it didn't show ( must've ran out of characters) But up in my first post on the richer sauce I make....it's supposed to include sour cream as well. No real amt. just kind of plop it in there till it tastes like I want.

So it should read:

2 cans cream of chicken soup
    milk to thin it to desired thickenss
    Add sour cream

* Put chicken into this gravy
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• they usually roast a pig at a luau so slow cooked pork shoulder would be great!! and cheap!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would do pineapple chicken wings. Here's the recipe, they are delicious. Serve over hot cooked rice, with some fresh fruit also. And the Dollar Tree (if you have on) carries decent Luau decorations for only $1 each.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• All this talk about the Luau food is really making me miss my family in Hawaii and going to the real Luau in Hawaii! Aloha !
    Cruiseagentmom

Answer by Cruiseagentmom at 4:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009