what do you think about capital punishment?

do you believe justice is being served when a criminal is sentenced to death?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell's freezing over, Carpy as you and I have found something to agree on...LOL!

I split with my liberal friends on this issue...I do favor the death penalty but only in instances of the most vile crimes and only if guilt is provable with DNA evidence. And I do think it should be administered swiftly.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No. I can understand the desire for vengeance on the part of the victim's family, but firmly believe that capital punishment only creates more victims (the family of the accused.) Personally I am opposed to the death penalty. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Well I'm opposed to the billions of tax dollars spent on criminals so they can have free health care, cable, a free education, free food. Hell they have better benefits than the guards risking their lives at the prisons. I'm sorry once you do something to land yourself in prison, you give up rights. If a person receives a life sentence at the age of 20 and lets say he lives to be 80. The tax payers will pay over 4 million dollars to support a person who perhaps raped a murdered a 4 yr old. I'm sorry.
    I'd rather use that money to fix every pot hole in America.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 8:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• jenlenr if the money is the issue to you then you should be opposed to the death penalty as it is now. Its cheaper to house them for life. But I am in favor of it. Its not used often enough just as I said in the last question on the same issue earlier
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No, even though,there are some crimes,where I think,the person should really be punished,like men raping babies, or women who let their man beat on their kids.
    Anonymous

• Carpy, I'm interested in reading about that. Can you please tell me where I can find the information about that? Thanks.

But no, money is not the entire issue. I support the death penalty for other reasons. I agree it is not used often enough. And I think a lot of people's views would change on the issue if they were ever personally effected by violent crime.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 9:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes I do - and no it's not all about vengence.

I'm sorry but when you show a willingness to kill someone (adult or child) of your own free will with no remorse; then yes I feel it is absolutly justice for them to be sentenced to a death penalty.

I do not wish to pay to keep these people alive on death row indefinitely. If there are witness' or DNA, they get one appeal and that's it; game over. I don't agree that putting someone on death row is more expensive; the "people" shouldn't be paying for someone's 10th appeal process or whatever the hell it is. That's part of the problem with the system.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I do not wish to pay to keep these people alive on death row indefinitely. If there are witness' or DNA, they get one appeal and that's it; game over. I don't agree that putting someone on death row is more expensive; the "people" shouldn't be paying for someone's 10th appeal process or whatever the hell it is. That's part of the problem with the system.

But see, it's not about what you *think* is/is not more expensive.... it IS more expensive to send them to death row. That isn't someone's opiniong....it is fact!!!!! Do some actual research on it!
    Anonymous

• Outlawed in every civilised country in the world except the USA. There are so many cases now surfacing of persons wrongfully convicted of crimes they did not commit that it is certain that some in the past and maybe in the future will forfeit their lives for errors by police, lawyers and courts. Time to abolish this barbaric practice which only the Chinese, Saudis and Iranians seem to relish as much as Americans.

Interesting to see that some respondents justify killing people because it is cheaper. Adolf Hitler thought so too.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Interesting to see that some respondents justify killing people because it is cheaper. Adolf Hitler thought so too.

The real kicker is that it's NOT cheaper!!!!! lol But, they don't want to some research, so they just believe everything they hear!
    Anonymous