Is Fiber One bran cereal causing my weight gain?

I think it is.I've been eating about 3 boxes of it for the last 3 months,I go through a box a month.I feel chubbier in my stomach.I'm dissapointed because, actually All bran said it was low in carbs so I've been eating it.I switched to Fiber one because it has less sugar and more fiber that it.I think the carbs are somewhat the same too.I guess it's back to fried eggs and toast for breakfast but I love my cereal.What do you eat for your low carb diet and do you think the cereal is making me fat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Health

• When judging a food by it's carb/fiber content you need to look at the NET carb effect. You subtract the fiber grams from the carb grams to get the net carbs. I've had both All-Bran and Fiber One. I believe that All-Bran has fewer NET carbs. You also need to be aware of portion sizes. All-Bran portion size is 1/2 cup. If you're eating it like you would cornflakes, at around 1 cup or more per serving, then you're eating TWICE what the serving size is. Fiber negates the carb effect because it's not absorbed by the digestive system, like other foods. You aren't gaining weight from the fiber.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I know if I'm going to eat cereal on a low carb diet it has to be sparingly not everyday.I was not pooping like I expected,well I'm on a medicine that constipates me but you'd think with all that bran,would do something.I read certain fibers can actually constipate you and you have to drink alot of water to help it pass through.I think All bran is trying to get more women to eat their cereal by saying it's low in carbs and it's kinda decieving because though it is ,it's full of fiber and I don't know ,fiber could have alot of calories and other properties that could hinder weight loss.It does fill you up but that's temporary.
    Anonymous

• I feel like a idiot now, the carbs for Fiber One per serving is 36 grams but I was eating All Bran and that was lower.I don't eat bread or pasta rarely so I thought it was o.k. to eat that many carbs.The only carbs I eat are brown rice and wheat pasta,actually I'm not supposed to eat the wheat pasta,I think I'm allergic to wheat,I gain weight from it.But I can tollerate brown rice and most vegetables.
    Anonymous

• I dont think the cereal is making you fat, but the way your eating it. Is it the only thing your eating? You may want to take in consideration what else your adding to your diet. Maybe because it seems healthy you are eating more?
    Yakedi

Answer by Yakedi at 9:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yeah, I feel chubbier in my stomach since eating it,I'm putting it away for now on and eating it only once in awhile maybe never again.
    Anonymous

• Are you walking, or doing other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week?
    Are you drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day?
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day
    Eat at least 2 servings of legumes a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009