Ever since giving birth I have a hard time being able to hold it, or when I sneeze I have a lot of leaks. Is there anything the doctor can give for that?

I've tried the exercises but even those are hard to do. It's like I can't even flex because my muscles are weak. I'm tired of the tinkle problem!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Umm, no, your muscles are all stretched out. Pilates is what helped me, during the workout, you end up working those muscles, so it wasn't the whole, "hold it like that for 20 seconds" while I couldn't even hold it like that for 2 seconds. I basically invested in panty liners for a couple months until it started getting better.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Is there a Pilates DVD you recommend? I had no idea it helped with that. Thanks.

Anonymous

• Keep doing the Kegels. The more you do them the stronger the muscles will become. Dr' routinely tell post partum Moms 100 a day. Do them in sets of 20. Every time you're at a stop sign, a red light. Waiting in a cashiers line. No one can tell you are doing them. It is part of the joy of motherhood.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Welcome to the many JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD! Seriously though, you have to pound out those kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor.  I was told by my midwife to do 1000 a day! They do have meds for urinary leaks, etc. But you couldn't take them and nurse your baby, and they always have so many side effects.  Believe it or not, drinking a large amount of water and practicing holding it helps too.

1-2caf

Answer by 1-2caf at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• chances are you had a catheter (sp) while giving birth. i felt the same way after having my son two years ago. its normal, but if in a month or so its not any better i'd at least talk to the dr about it. try practicing. after you do go, consiously contract and release the way you would were you actually peeing. it will help you regain full control over your bladder.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2009