How often are you suppose to water your veggie/herb garden?

I just bought tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and a mixture of
Italian herbs (basil, parsley etc.) How oftern should I water then and when? I live in So. Ca where its hot and we probably won't get rain soon either.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You need to water them really well when you plant them, then when they've recovered from transplanting, water when the plants begin to look droopy. Some plants will look droopy before others do; use those as your indicator.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• In heat and sun you should water well in the morning and then again in early evening for a few days, then see how they are doing and maybe cut back to once every couple days, and then an inch a week. If it rains half an inch, then you only need to water the remaining half inch. Water deeply when you water. It encourages good root depth. If you don't water well enough, it encourages shallow roots and is not as good for the plants.

Answer by Bmat at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009