The Rights of Teachers

There's a closed question about whether teachers should have to teach something that is against their religious convictions.

What about the History teacher who doesn't believe that the Holocaust or the Moon Landing ever happened?

What about the Geology teacher who believes in a literal biblical age of the earth (6000 years)?

What about the Biology teacher who doesn't believe in Evolution?

A teacher of anything that doesn't like the methods used by their school district (phonics vs whole language, spiral vs mastery, etc. etc. etc. and on and on and on)

Should they be allowed to refuse to teach that part of the curriculum?

I think most people who go through college for a teaching credential have a fair idea of what is going to be expected of them once they get employment and if they feel they have a problem with it due to their religion, they should seek employment at a religious school.

dottieanna29

Asked by dottieanna29 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree. I had a biology teacher who was a Mormon in high school. Obviously, he had religious beliefs about the start of life and what should and shouldn't be done with blood and all that, but it never stopped him from teaching us about it. If you want to teach your beliefs, teach at a private school where that won't be a problem.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree... If the teacher is against teaching something that the school says is to be taught, they should have two choices... Deal or Quit... They can go teach at a private school where everyone is as close minded as they are!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• or you just don't have to take that class with that teacher...
    that is in response to Sabrina's response which the last part was not so cool.. we are NOT close minded about the vast things of the spirit realm. In matter of fact our minds are wide open to believing what seems to be the impossible and teachers teach to go beyond the impossible.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i agree with you.

BUT i think it goes both ways. i had a Biology teacher who taught nothing but evolution. he even went so far as to say ppl w/ beliefs that couldnt be proved by science were stupid & the words "religious" & "belief" were banned from his classroom. so i think teachers who will teach nothing but their convictions need to be kicked outta public schools too. luckily, i switched outta his class at semester. i couldnt take more than a semester of being told i was blind for being a Christian by a man who was blind to the possibility that he could be wrong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• "religious" & "belief" were banned from his classroom.

Did you report him to the school board? We had a social studies teacher who was suspended indefinitely for making some nasty comments about Mormons, with Mormon students in the room, no less. I'm only sad it didn't happen until after I was done with his class - he was a general ass all around.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i spent the entire school semester trying to get him in trouble, but this was a DoD school so the military was the school board. my parents met with him, the principal, & the local DoDS head. they told us he had "tenure" so they couldnt do anything. i even had a friend of mine video tape him saying these things, but it didnt change anything. the guy was a loon in other ways too. i finally got switched outta his class by crying to the principal that he was "damaging my spirit" and making me depressed. it was awful, but im a better person for going thru it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• There is a simple solution to this... Don't become a teacher if you don't want to teach any of the general subjects the way they were meant to be taught. It is possible to teach your beliefs by becoming a public speaker instead, people always watch TV!!!! Everyone is always trying to be controversial. It's like no one is happy until they piss someone off... On the other hand, what about parents who send their kids to school, and don't want their kids to attend the health class because they don't want them to learn about drugs and their effects or their bodies and how they grow and change? People all have a choice, and no one in the world should have to suffer emotionally or intellectually because of another person who doesn't feel that way, especially if the other person is the minority (1 out of 5 for example) and the majority don't agree. People have rights, and they have the right to be at another school with the same value
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Should they be allowed to refuse to teach that part of the curriculum?

NO. It's their JOB. Teach the curriculum, or find a different job. As someone said before, "Deal or Quit"!

I'm a cook by trade. I work in the cafeteria at a local university. I hate fried food. It's disgusting, it's unhealthy, and it's a pain in the butt to clean up after. But if the Production Manager puts french fries or chicken strips on the menu...I fire up the fryers and do what I'm paid to do. It's not my job to "save" the students from the evils of fried food...It's my job to cook!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• WELL SAID POSTER!!!!!!! AMEN! If you don't want to teach something *be you atheist, christian or other* then don't go into teaching.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009