What is the diffrence between having a nanny or childcare for your child?

I am trying to figure out what would be better for my baby girl, childcare at a public facility or hirning a nanny to come to my home. Please keep in mind she will be the only child. Please let me know what you think or if you have had experience with either or both.

CassieHaydin

Asked by CassieHaydin at 9:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• A nanny takes care of your child in your home..And usually lives with you.Most of them do I think.

Answer by louise2 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think as an infant in your home, its just easier on a baby to be in a calm, quiet environment. As a toddler and older however, a public facility because they need that social development that can't be offered at home unless they are a twin, and even then they need interactions with peers not of family status. That being said my son has been in daycare since 6 weeks of age because I work and go to school full time and had no other option. He wasn't hindered in any way by being in the loud daycare environment, its just my preference to keep an infant home if I could. But, like I said once they're 2 or older I feel they need to interact with peers and start learning sharing and turn taking and things that can't be age specific at home. You can teach sharing, but adult-child is not the same relationship as 2 year old-2 year old.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Well said Ba13ygrl !!! That is excactly how I feel about it too.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree with Ba13ygrl, too. At least until the child is in school. I would then go back to the nanny or other in-home care after school. I think after a full day of school children need to wind down in a place they are comfortable. Preferably at home.
    Anonymous

• I'd do a nanny.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't agree with BA13. She's basically saying that as a SAHM, my child isn't getting what they need from me. That's not true. Sharing is sharing no matter whom you do it with. I'd prefer an in home nanny. I can be more assured that my child is taken care of well. If I HAD to do a daycare, I'd do one that had cameras in every room of the facility and you can log on anytime to see what's going on.

If I couldn't be there for my child, my first choice with be a foreign au pair. That way my child could also learn another language. The next choice would be nanny. The next a friend or family member. As a last resort... daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• That's not what I'm saying at all. Please don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing in my statement about SAHM's. And sharing is not sharing not matter whom you do it with. Many children have no problem sharing a toy with mom, because you're mom. However, put that same child with the same toy in a classroom of same aged peers and that child IS NOT going to be ok with sharing their toy. With mom, there is the comfort of knowing you WILL get that toy back, because kids know from a young age mom is not going to take your toy. That known is lacking with peers, because kids do take toys, and often don't give them back. You can not teach a child peer-peer sharing unless the child is forced to share with peers. Now, this can be done on playgrounds, in play groups, in preschool and many other settings besides daycare. I have no idea what you have your child involved in as a SAHM which is why I said nothing about you in my statement.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I think it is wonderful if you can have a Nanny. I love the fact that my child can be in his/her own home in their own bed. Not being exposed to every germ that comes down the pike, and not being bitten, or having things thrown at them. Things like these are bound to happen when you have a group of children together. Some moms must work, and I think if you have to work having a child care provider come to you is about as ideal as you can get.
    I was a nanny for 5 yrs, I did not live with the family, but they were family just the same, you can't spend that much time with children and not consider them "your own"
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009