Why should Muslim women in France NOT be given the freedom to wear Muslim garb if they prefer it?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/06/30/france.burkas.al.qaeda/index.html

PARIS, France (CNN) -- Al Qaeda threatened to "take revenge" on France "by every means and wherever we can reach them" because of a debate in France over whether the burqa, a traditional Islamic woman's covering, violates French law, according to a statement posted on radical Islamist Web sites.

A woman wears traditionnal Muslim dress in Venissieux, near Lyon, France.

"We will not tolerate such provocations and injustices, and we will take our revenge from France," said the statement, signed by Abu Musab Abdul Wadud, calling himself "commander of al Qaeda in North Africa [Islamic Maghreb]."

The statement is dated June 28, five days after French President Nicolas Sarkozy controversially told lawmakers that the traditional Muslim garment was "not welcome" in France.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's a good question. I think what France is doing is a mistake. They should make it publicly known that no one in the country can be "forced" to wear one; however there are some women who feel it gives them an air of security hiding behind their vail and I can see how they'd want to keep that.

Just because something appears oppressive to us 'outsiders looking in' doesn't mean it always is.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• A day later, the French National Assembly announced the creation of an inquiry into whether women in France should be allowed to wear the garment.

CNN cannot verify the authenticity of the statement, which also accused the French of "committing all of these grievances in a time when we see their women flooding our nations, filling our shores, poorly dressed and nude in a deliberate defiance to the feelings of Muslims and in clear contempt to the teachings of the Islamic faith, traditions and norms."

"Our Muslim brothers in France in particular and in Europe in general are increasingly troubled by the practices of the French politicians and their leaders, and their constant harassments of our people regarding the burqa issue," said the statement

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I figure when in Rome do what the Romans do. We as Americans have the right to express ourselves freely in so many ways. I apologize I had a hard time accessing the link so I'm just going off your post. If we went to a Muslim country, they would want us all to cover up.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• "Yesterday they targeted the veil, today the burqa and maybe tomorrow their evil hands could be extended to defame our pillars of faith, like praying, fasting or the pilgrimage," it added.

Sarkozy made the statement last week, in an address to parliament.

"The problem of the burqa is not a religious problem. This is an issue of a woman's freedom and dignity. This is not a religious symbol. It is a sign of subservience; it is a sign of lowering. I want to say solemnly, the burqa is not welcome in France," Sarkozy said.

The right of Muslim women to cover themselves is fiercely debated in France, which has a significant Muslim minority but also a staunchly secular constitution.

Why can they not have the freedom to live as they prefer according to their religion and beliefs if it is not harming anyone else?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Steff107 - they prefer women to dress modestly when traveling in those countries; but no they don't ALL require female visitors to wear burkas or veils...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Eh....I think it's just another pathetic attempt at trying to control the world! If France has a rule regarding this, and many other religious things, like they do....and you don't like the rules....MOVE OUT! i am SICK and TIRED of countries having to bend over backwards for such crap. It's not like France's rule is only geared toward Muslim women wanting to wear burqas specifically.
    Anonymous

• "The problem of the burqa is not a religious problem. This is an issue of a woman's freedom and dignity. This is not a religious symbol. It is a sign of subservience; it is a sign of lowering. I want to say solemnly, the burqa is not welcome in France," Sarkozy said.

This is what bothers me - it is his opinion that is is a sign of subservience; not all muslim women view it as such; I've read articles of women living here in the US who say they love their burka; that it gives them a sense of freedom and lack of worry of prying eyes; etc...what appears 'normal' to one culture won't to another - that's common sense...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• If you choose to visit their (a Muslim) country, you will have to abide by their rules. Should they want to visit another's country, so must they abide by that particular country's rules! Plain and simple, they don't get to boss every country around!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Actually, a very close family friend of ours did missionary work in a Muslim country for many years, and she got in a pickle for wearing a pair of Bermuda shorts while digging a well for the people in the hot sun. She was actually handed something of their attire to put on. I wasn't assuming when I commented. And I never said they ALL wanted us to cover up, reread what I wrote. No need to correct me thank you so much.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I'm guessing the people who support it don't realize France also attempted to ban wearing yamulkes and crucifixes in schools several years ago.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009