Starting to babysit from home. What do I need to get started?

I have decided that I want to start watching two kids a week. I don't know how to get my project off the ground. I've decided that I would charge about 140-160 dollars a week for child care. I'm non licensed, so what rules would I need to follow? I also live in TX.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you need a license to legally watch children in any state.

Answer by louise2 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• non-licensed, you don't have any official rules you need to follow, thats the whole point of being un-licensed. What I would suggest however, is having a contract made up stating that the parent of the child will not sue in the event of accidental injury or death while in your care. Also make sure you have a full list of emergency contacts, a list of medications the child may be taking, contract giving permission from the parent to administer said medication as well as OTC medications such as Tylenol on an as-needed basis, contract giving permission to take the child to an emergency facility and authorize treatment if needed, and a copy of insurance cards for the kids.

Depending on the ages of the children, you may need a variety of things.
    high chair
    car seat
    extra pacifier, bottle, sippy cup
    age appropriate toys for indoors and outdoors - preferably educational ones
    age appropriate sunscreen

I'm sure there's lots more, lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Liability insurance
    CPR certification
    Business License
    You may need other licenses or certifications; check with your local municipality.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• OP here. I have an infant, so I don't want to watch anymore infants. The age I'm looking to care for, is 3 and over.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i watch 2 kids from home and dont ahve a liscence, just make sure the parents know that you are not liscenced as a in home day-care.... other than that you wont need much more.... im assuming you already have kids, and they ahve toys....

i amke the parents bring bottles/diapers/ and anything else special the child needs.... i dont make mine sign any types of forms but they are very close personal friends, if i was doing it for anyone else i would make them sign a contract....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• ok 1 more thing.. it is way easier to watch 2-3 infants than an infant and 2 toddlers.. i PROMISE you that.....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thanks for all the info ladies!!!! :D Keep it coming. I have another thing to ask. Are my prices reasonable?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think that your prices are gonna depend on what is being charged around your area.

In my town the average is $4.oo an hour. My current daycare lady charges by the day - full day = $25 half day = $15
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• for my region you are way over priced < at the moment> now a year ago you were right on.. now most daycares here are chargind between 85-115 a week.....

also you need to figure out if you will charge by teh day or by the week... i charge by the day, so if the child is only there 2 day its jsut $20.. and for me that sucks.. this fall it will be by the week... 1-2 days is 40$ and anything over 2 days is $100....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2009