how long is to long for a fever?

it just started today, so when do i need to see a doctor, after a day or two or what. plus i gave him motrin and it have only been 4 1/2 hours and the fever was back. i just hate the er here, and rather wait it out til monday if i can with him, thanks

momma2hunter

Asked by momma2hunter at 12:05 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I fever really means nothing except that the baby is fighting off something. They do not even have to be sick to have a fever and they get fevers all of the time and we don't even notice.
    But it depends on the age of the baby. A newborn should be seen when they get a fever because they can not "fight off" most things yet.
    But if you have a older baby and no other symptoms and if after three days they still have a fever bring them in.
    Also the hight of a fever does not really matter that much either. How fats one goes up can matter and sometimes cause seizures, but don't worry if your child has one, seizurese due to fast rising fevers are actually pretty common. If they do have one of course you will want to bring them in right away too A good rule of thumb is if the fever hits 104 call a nurse on call and see what they want you to do.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 12:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I rushed my son into the ER one night when he had a fever of 104.9 I was freaking out but when I got there they said the fever is not really what matters, the symptoms are. And if they are acting lathargic in anyway bring them in right away. Other than that tylenol is fine, but only if theu seem botherd by the fever. If the fever is 101 or something you don't really need to give them tylenol or motrin.
    libbykate

• Thanks for responding, its always scary when our little ones are sick. i been doing tylenol and motrin, and he seems to perk up after that, but now he is getting a cough. I hope he gets well soon. =(
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 12:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yeah, my pharmacist sometimes suggests alternating the tylenol and motin... also, give a bath... it helps to cool them down and is relaxing too. When my daughter has a fever and she has a bath, playing in the tub makes her feel better. I hope he feels better!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 12:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I hope he feels better soon.
    Lori.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 1:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• About the bath thing, they really reccomend not giving baths anymore. Anything even warm will add heat to them and not help a fever. But a cool cloth to the head and neck may help. But I was told noy to put him in a bath.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 4:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Something funny i had to add... dunno if you will see this... but he is learning really fastt right now. so i tell DH to get a washcloth and wet it... i put it to hunters forehead he says "wet" "wet" and threw it down ... he didnt like it!!!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 1:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2008