Is it normal to feel like all your love is going to your baby and there's none leftover for anyone else??

My daughter was born 5 weeks ago - she's my first biological child (I have a 6yo stepson). I love her so much! I know that part is normal, but what I didn't expect to feel is so numb toward everyone else - including my poor husband! I feel like my baby is the only person I am in love with. I used to get so excited when my husband came home for work, or when my stepson went to bed and my hubby and I could just relax and cuddle. Now I just don't have that feeling. And I feel like my stepson is just an annoyance that gets in the way of my time with my daughter. Do you think my feelings will balance themselves out soon! I don't want to love my daughter any less, I just want to feel the way I used to about the rest of my family!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know. I disliked my son when he was born, and felt like he was getting in the way of my marriage. I love him a ton now of course! I think maybe in a few weeks when everything goes back into regular hormones you might feel differently.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I still love my son the most. It will probably even out over time.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It's probably not because you really love only the baby, but a baby takes up a lot of your time. So, if you are spending most of your time in "mommy" mode then sometimes it may seem like you love the baby more. You'll eventually get better later as your baby learns to do more things on her own. I would try not to let your stepson see your annoyance though. Depending on his age he might not understand that babies need a lot of attention and be very hurt because I'm sure he's not being annoying on purpose.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 11:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• WOW I feel the same and she is 17 weeks old. I think this is mainly because my DH was a total **** after her birth until about 1 week ago.

But still, I feel this total love and commitment to her. If I'm not happy I will go and lie down and watch her while she sleeps. It cheers me up immensely. I feel like she is my heart

Slowly though, over time it does even out and now I am wanting to be closer with my DH again (mainly because he is being nice again) BUT I cannot describe the feelings I have towards my DD. I just want to spend all my time with her and not be bothered. When we are playing I don't mind that he comes and plays too just don't want to be bothered with anything that can be done later (like dishes and crap)

I even told my DH that I don't want any other children because I am scared that I won't love them as much as her and I could not do that to another little baby.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009