What to expect when meeting with the judge?

I'm adopting my little girl and tomorrow is our first court date. I have no idea what to expect. I'm so nervous yet excited. We started the process in February. It felt this day would never come; I know it's just one of the first steps but it took forever. Anyways! Has anyone been through this? What to expect? What to do/not to do? What if the judge doesn't like us? What if he says she's better off with her mom? Ugh so many things are running through my head! Help LOL

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• We only had to go before the judge once for each adoption, but TPR was already done. You want to dress nice, so they see that you're taking the occasion seriously. Remember to stand when the judge enters the room and address him or her as "your honor". We were nervous both times, but it was fine. Both judges were really nice. The second one (a woman) held our little boy and let us have our picture taken with her. You'll do fine! Why don't you go out and celebrate afterward if you can? We went to lunch after court to celebrate.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I also only had to go in front of a judge once, the rights had long been TPR'd for us too. I remember being nervous but confident, dd had been with us for 9 months already (since birth) so this was just the final step. The judge put me on the stand and asked "Why do you want this court to allow you to be this child's mother?" I crumbled into tears, first of all, I already was her mother, that to me was a given... I just couldnt speak with all of the emotion. Then I looked out and my whole family and friends were crying too, DH right in front. I did finally gather my emotions to speak but it was something I will never forget. We also went out afterwards and had a party as well as remember the day each year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Aww that's awesome! .... We are going to meet with him today because we are not certified to adopt. She terminated her rights for the second time 2 weeks ago. The first time the paperwork that the lawyer sent wasn't right.... I wish it was to finalize the adoption!!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009