• In the Spotlight:

Should I get a big boy bed?

My 21 month old can climb into his crib and is almost to the point that he can climb out. Also he won't go to sleep in his crib, only my bed. Is it time to get a big boy bed for him? Should I just convert his crib to a toddler bed or get an actual bed?

secondbaby75

Asked by secondbaby75 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just moved our 18.5 mo old from our bed to a "big boy bed." It's actually one of those 3 in 1 crib to bed sets. We want him to feel like it's a bed, not a cage though so we took the drop rail, set it on the floor in place, and tied it securely to the ends. The effect is that of a toddler rail attached to a daybed. My son *loves* it. We made a huge deal about it, let him pick out his bedding, etc. He's to the point, in under a week, of insisting he can't take naps with my husband (who works nights) anymore. He wants to be in his bed. I say convert the crib to a toddler bed since he's already used to the environment and mattress and maybe get him some new sheets that he gets to pick out to mark the transition. You might have to put him back in a few times the first few nights but I bet he'll get the hang of being a big boy pretty fast. I was surprised how fast my son caught on to the whole big boy thing.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I switched my dd over at 13 months to a toddler bed we had gotten for free. If we hadn't had that we would have boughten a twin bed... but if your crib converts, do it that way. My dd loved it and loves climbing in and out of it still at 19 months! I close her door when she goes to sleep and just before I go to bed, I open her door and that way she can feel free to get me at whatever time in the morning (it's usually 7-9 am). I also made a big deal out of it and got her all excited. Plus, this gives you a little time to save up for a reg bed!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2009