My puppy has problems with his legs.

Before everyone tells me to take hime to the vets I am on thursday. Anyhow, I have a 12 week old puppy that is some kind of lab collie mix. He seems to be pain free, but he will be walking and all the sudden fall. Like his back legs are paralized. He will also fall down the porch stairs. When he has been in his cage or napping for a while he is very stiff like a little old lady. He also randomly gags like he is going to throw up and squints his eyes a sometimes. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this? I will hopefully find something out on thursday but if anyone knows anything is would be helpful.

Cherish050307

Asked by Cherish050307 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pets

• it kind of sounds like a seizure.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yeah, sounds like seizures.
    My little chihuahua had one about two weeks ago and it was due to low blood sugar.. vet had me give her pancake syrup, which got her back up and going... does he act like that a while after he's been fed? Mabey that's the problem.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 11:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It happens often. Like a couple times a day. He doesn't like lay around and rest after he would if it was a seizure. And he seems aware, like he is trying to get up but it just takes a minute.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Labs are notorious for hip dysplasia (sp?) If the gagging and squinting are un-related (which I would assume if he isn't doing that when he is falling down) then that would be my guess. My lab had a mild case as a puppy and grew out of it, but I am sure it will come back with old age.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• there are different types of seizures. I had a Pomeranian that used to be walking around and all of a sudden her legs would start getting stiff and she would kid of walk like a robot. that only happened a couple times a month though so it wasn't that serious. I'm not saying thats what your puppy has, but it could be. Is it possible that he could have some sort of brain damage that would cause that to happen? I mean, did you get him from a shelter of a breeder?
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My boyfriends got him from some lady who had like six dogs tied outside. He had worms and was infested with fleas when we brought him home. I like to think we rescued him! From what my boyfriend said it was nasty. And he paid for him!!
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Might also be a neurological issue
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• How can anyone conclude or suggest seizures in the case of this dog? Seizures involve more than temporary paralysis of hind quarters and falling down. The only conclusive diagnosis is with your Vet who will do the exam and work up. Depending on what is causing these symptoms, severity and frequency of this pup losing his balance while walking and doing stairs he may require a trip to a Vet who specializes in neurology. Either way don't jump to conclusions just yet as this pup may just have a case of not knowing where his rearend is yet. In simple terms, his coordination may be off while front and rear assembly grow at different rates. Good luck and post back after your visit.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Question about the gagging: How long has this behavior been going on? Are you positive this pup has nothing wedged in mouth, between teeth?Does food roll back out after eating if he lowers his head in anyway? Do you notice an out pouching in esophagus when he eats (will look like golf ball or bigger from side view of throat area). What are you feeding and consistency of food (ie: dry kibble, moistened kibble, canned, RAW, semi-moist like beneful)? Do you notice this behavior with every meal? Treats? Table scraps? Are you offering water with every meal? Does pup rest after meals? These are questions I have for my clients when they present a case of gagging before me. Your Vet should be asking these questions as well.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• the gagging could also be from parasites, you did say that the pup came form a home infested with worms and fleas......sounds a little like heartworms to me.......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2009