Breast feeding question

is it ok to not have a feeding schedule? My son is 3mons old, should I be getting him on a feeding schedule, right now I feed on demand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 6 months....I just feed on demand. U never relly know how long it will be inbetween feedings for them. It always varied for me. I just now started trying to get her on a schedule....it's a bit easier to do when they don't want to eat every 15 mins.....just play it by ear I guess....I know it sounds dumb but you will know when they are ready to have a schedule....GL
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• DD is 6 months also and I BF, I have been feeding on demand this entire time. Except when she was really little (under 3 months) and went 2-3 hours with out eating and then I would feed her with out her asking. SO I would say no schedule is really needed just use your best judgment.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think it is better to demand feed. Scheduling was something that carried over from the 70s and is really over the top. Attacment parenting promotes demand feeding as it makes sure that the baby is getting total satisfaction. Be careful with nursing to sleep though as many night wakings mean that it is a sleep association issue and not a demand feed. My DD is FF (:( long story but boooooo) and is totally demand fed, slept etc... I simply don't care if she doesn't finish the bottle and I throw it out. Her happiness is more important.

She is on NO type of schedule and I just look at it that every day is wonderfully different. It adds spice and variety not knowing what time when things will happen :)
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I always did on demand.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I feed my 9 month old on demand and/or whenever I feel (my breasts) too full. on demand is always best in my opinion.
    pinkfanta1

Answer by pinkfanta1 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• On demand.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It is recommend to nurse on demand especially during those pesky growth spurts that they all go through. They typically end up making their own schedule when you do this though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I always fed on demand that early on. Even as he passed a year old I fed on demand but it was more of a schedule by that time.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Nursing on demand is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I agree with on demand nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009