Can someone explian to me please how a woman who underwent a double masectomy is supposed to be expcted to breastfeed her child?

I was at an event today for moms and chidren in the local mall and this mother was quielty feeding her baby (about 6 months or so) a bottle in the corner.. another mom sitting near her saysto her freind but loud enough so the mom and others near her could hear it.. its sad that so moms nowdays are selfishly depriving their children of breastmilk.. the other mom looked at her and said "excuse me not that its any of your business but i had double masectomy a few months after my duaghter was born .. I had breast cancer and was am lucky to be alive and so is she thank you for making me feel even worse about it..." Im just wondering how someone can be so thoughtless not to keep their opions to their sleves..
btw i am not antibfing or anti ffing... i am just anti rude people..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• that is really rude. it is not anyone elses business if someone chooses to formula feed. I breast fed my daughter but sometimes when we were in public i would give her formula.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• People just don't think. I have a friend that has a little boy that is about 6 that has a few medical disorders including thyroid problems. Add that to the fact that his father is 6'8" and my friend is 6'0", this boy is quite large. The other day, her son and my son were playing together at the park and another kid joined them. The other child was obviously older, but both of our children look about 9-10. The mother of the other child was on her phone talking about the stupid 10 year old that her son had just befriended. She says "He has to be at least 10, but God is he dumb. He acts like a 5 year old."
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Of course she's not. And yes, that person was rude and the mom's response was dead on correct.

On the good side...seems this lady was able to get pretty convincing prosthetics!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm glad that mother said something!!! Some women are too caught up in themselves to think correctly! I personally don't care what the mother decides to do, it's their choice and I have to say it does annoy me when formula feeding is automatically "depriving" your child.... I could just leave her to starve! Hey, that's SOO much better apparently!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Well it bothers me to see women that I know personally who don't even try to breastfeed for selfish reasons (they want to drink excessive amounts of alcohol or their DH says the breasts are his so she can't), but in public with a woman I don't even know I would never say anything like that for that reason. While there are very few medical reasons why a mother cannot breastfeed I do not know a strangers situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• How does this women know that there was formula in that bottle. It could have been breast milk/
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 8:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I'm sure that women makes comments like that all the time, probably has nothing to do with BF. Hopefully she'll get tired of the foot taste.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• That's disgusting! I can't believe some people are so rude. Mother's shouldn't be so judgmental of other mothers who are CLEARLY taking good care of their babies. I hate the FF v BF debate and I'm a BFer!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Wow. That mom handled it with a lot more grace than I would have. I would have let that wench have it with both barrels.

Too many people forget "you can't judge a book by it's cover" these days.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• UGH! what business is it of that rude bitch how that mom chose to feed her baby? For all she knew mom could have been feeding her baby bottled breastmilk.
    Too bad people can't just mind their own damned business and keep their rude comments to themselves!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009