military wives a question for you

how much advanced notice ( if any at all) is a soldier supposed to get on wether or not he will be deployed to go to war?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• It really depends. For my husband's first deployment, I knew 6 months in advance but they kept changing the date all the time until I got a phone call to let me know he would be leaving the next morning. For his second deployment, he only got a month and a half notice. It really depends on the unit and when they receive the orders and everything.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• so it can be any time? my husband is trying to get a leave here they denied it twice and he told me tonight its because his unit is suposed to deploy, hes scheduled to get out in feb 2010, and the unit is scheduled to deploy in nov. i know he can be stoplossed, but if the deployment is messing up this leave could that mean that they will deploy sooner than scheduled? i know you cant tell me for sure im just wondering if you know that it may be a possible reason his leave isnt getting approved. any little bit of an idea or something ya know
    Anonymous

• Has he been flagged for anything (failed PT test, needs to lose weight, got in trouble for something)? Or maybe it could be that they will be training during that time and no one is allowed leave. From my experience, my husband's unit has always had a leave time right before his deployments so he can see family members and take care of any necessary paperwork that has not already been done. I would have your husband try taking leave at a different date if possible or have him check with his CO to see when he can take leave, but it is possible that they might be deploying earlier or they are on alert where they can not be more than 50 miles from base. That happened to my husband once. We had a trip planned for the weekend and we had to cancel it because they were put on alert to go to Africa. Luckily, they didn't have to go and the leave block was lifted.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• he hasnt been in trouble, he changed the date already, and they are training now thats the reason it was denied the first time. i dont know my husband isnt giving me any information at all. i dont know if theyre on alert or anything, but he says he has no idea for sure, like hes not 100% sure if hes going to be stopped lossed and deployed...he said hes just assuming that hes going to be, but i thought they were suposed to give you some notice before they deploy you, like i thought he would have a for sure answer maybe not a date but atleast know if he is going to go...but thanks for helping.
    Anonymous

• no they don't have to give more than a few days notice. my husband is navy, we got stationed in VA from MS and we went to the base to see where he was working, he went in to find out which building and it took them an hour to figure out where he was supposed to be, and the only reason it took that long, was b/c he was supposed to be deploying the day after he checked in, they weren't going to tell him until the day he checked in. luckily since we went in a week before his check in date we had some notice to get things taken care of before he left. so it could be that they aren't positive when they plan on deploying them so they don't want to give anyone leave. but if other people in the command are getting leave, than there is probably more to it than he is telling you. maybe he got into it w/a superior and didn't get in trouble for it but that person is now taking it out on his leave, etc there could be all kinds of reasons.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Depending on what his MOS is then more than likely he will be stop lossed with his unit deploying in November and him not getting out until February. Hopefully, you should find out some more definite answers in the next month or two. His unit might not even know if he will be deploying with them or not. I had a friend who was suppose to get out at the same time his unit was deploying. He didn't find out until about a month before that he would not have to go. I know it is hard not knowing what is going to happen but I wish you and your family the best of luck.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have heard that depending on your job and beanch of the military you can get 72 hours notice...My husband has deployed out 3 times in 3 years and due back in 10/2009 and he isn't even back yet and there are talks of going back out a month later!
    HisMoni

Answer by HisMoni at 12:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• thank you ladies, and i too hope that i get some definate answers soon jeremysmom. i really appreciate your answers. and you other ladies as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• depending on his job and branch, anywhere from a few weeks to a few hours.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• we got two weeks notice after he showed up from basic with the first deployment and we've pretty much known every other time. but honestly, they can change their minds at any time and move the date up or back whenever they want to, when the time gets down to two months before you plan like its the next month and the last month before they leave you pln like its the next day because you never know
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009