Does this sound like a problem?

I have recently been looking heavily into becoming a surrogate mother. I want to help a married couple that is infertile and will not abort if multiples occur. It would be their egg and sperm, not mine. I know what it is like to have these kind of problems and what goes into the adoption process. Does this sound like something that is wrong? Some say it's selfish b/c of the money, I'm not doing it just for the money. If you broke it down it would be $2.75 an hour, so that's not worth it if that's all your doing it for. What are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I 100% believe in ANY type of medical intervention to create life. NO MATTER WHAT GOD IS STILL THE ONE THAT DETERMINES HOW MANY MANY BABIES DEVELOP FROM FERTILITY INTERVENTION. it may be God's way of using a stranger to show His love to others by sacrificing your body to have another woman's child. I may consider being a surrogate for people that cant carry their own chilren after I am done having my own. HOWEVER it takes a very strong woman to be able to carry a child for 9 months and then hand that child over to their parents. I have tremendous respect for any women that can do it.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 12:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I was going to do it for my niece and her husband. I think you rock for doing it. Money or not, it's a kind thing to do

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think only you decide this and I'm wondering why you're conflicted. Not to sound unkind but you might explore the why in this case. Otherwise, if you need the money, own that fact and move on. You'd really be helping someone bring life into this world and that is wonderful. If you get paid, so what? As long as you can live with the letting go at the end of the journey. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think it's wonderful. People find faults in perfection when they can, so don't let what people say bother you. If you are doing what you feel is right, why would it be wrong? WIll this family love and care for that child? Will the child be happy and cared for? If so, I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. And as for getting paid, so what! You are literally putting yourself in a situation where great injury both physical and emotional CAN occur. You deserve a little compensation. IF for no other reason than you have to pay for healthier foods and bigger clothes, not to mention the time off work you will need... I think, if you feel what you are doing is right, there is no greatter gift than life... Except maybe being willing to get up for the 3 am feeding... lol!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• wrong i think
    sounds kind of wierd.
    Anonymous

• why don't you just adopt or something this is not solving a problem if God wanted the wife to become pregnant SHE would I think? Look up the story of Sarah and Hagar in the Bible/
    blueletterbible.com
    find another way to help someone!
    Anonymous

• More power to you if you are certain that you could handle such a task. I know that this may sound selfish, but I could never be a surrogate mother. I cannot imagine how I would give up a child that I carried in my womb.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i think its fine. you are helping to bring life into the world, another of gods children possibly. if you really want it go for it!!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

blueletterbible.com
    find another way to help someone! ~ Anon 11:48

not always. the problem with the story you are throwing out is that Abraham had sex with Hagar. he commited adultry because he wasn't trusting God's promise to give them a child. he laughed when an angel told him he and SARAH would get pregnant. How do you know that God hasn't given this couple the wisdom to seek out surrogacy?
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 12:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I find it odd that the only two people who are against this posted anon. Scared to show your faces are you?
    To the op, go for it. You are helping bring joy to a married couple who can not conceive on their own. You are helping them to realize a dream. What's so bad about that. And you have every right to be paid for it. You are putting yourself at risk and you are going to need alot of stuff while you are perggo. Feel GOOD about what you are doing!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2009