when to take away the bottle???

My son will be turning 1 on the 22nd of this month and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when the best time would be to take away the bottle and the way that you did it. I could most likely be fine without it all day but he really wants one at night and when he wakes up.. Please help!!

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 11:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to judge your own child's need to suck for comfort. The silly rule of "take them away at 12 months" is just that - a silly one-size-fits-none rule.

As long as that bedtime bottle has only water in it, it won't harm his teeth. As long as you brush his teeth after any milk bottles (or sippy cups), it won't harm his teeth. As long as he is learning to drink from a sippy cup (and later an open cup), then don't worry about "delaying" him. The ADA says not to worry about bottles or pacifiers harming tooth placement until age 4.

Decide for YOUR child. Mine had a very high need to suck. I could have taken her bedtime bottle away at a year and listened to days and days of screaming. I choose to listen to her needs instead. She had a bedtime bottle of water until 30 months. That's what MY child needed. And that's all that mattered to me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Our pedi. said start weaning at 12 months and try to have them totally off at 16 months max. I don't know if you care but he also said pacifier is ok till 2 years.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• you need to decide when you think he is ready.
    my daughter got rid of hers at her 1st birthday party, we cheered her on as she put them in the trash and we gave her more sippy cups to replace them.
    my son is rid of his already, he is soon to be 1. he has sippy cups, and still takes one to bed at night. i take it out once he's fallen asleep and put a new one in so it's there when he wakes in the morning.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If he can handle a sippy cup then when ever you want to go ahead a switch him over to only a sippy. I stopped giving my DD a bottle at about 10 months. She never even missed it.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 1:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I suggest getting him completely used to sippies before taking away the bottle completely. What you mentioned there is a very good way to start it, and the same as I did. Give him the bottle when it's most important to him (at night and when he wakes up), and sippies any other time. It doesn't have to be cold turkey.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2009