Ok ladies what's your opinion on the...

Apocrypha?

Is it legit or not?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 11:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Apocrypha are texts of uncertain authenticity, or writings where the authorship is questioned. When used in the specific context of Judeo-Christian theology, the term apocrypha refers to any collection of scriptural texts that falls outside the canon. Given that different denominations have different ideas about what constitutes canonical scripture, there are several different versions of the apocrypha.

Due to this there is really no way to form any real opinion of all of them. What one sees as legit others see as false and reverse so... Personally I have read many non-Scriptural texts that I believe are as legit as the bible itself. "The Gospel of St. Peter" for example is a wonderful collection of quotes, that truely make Christianity seem aproachable and wonderful, unfortunately they are seen as false by the Chruch.

However I must note that my views on Christian literature as a whole is bias since I'm not Christian.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Is that the Catholic Bible?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would say stick with the Authorized King James Version.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Sabrina provided a good definition of "Apocrypha" - which is different for different groups. Catholic bibles include seven additional books in the Old Testament (1 and 2 Maccabees, Sirach, Wisdom, Baruch, Tobit, and Judith) and additions to the books of Daniel and Esther that were removed by Protestants. Catholics call these books "deuterocannonicals". Sometimes when Protestants refer to "apocrypha" they include other books that Catholics don't included in the Old Testament either. So the question as it's asked is a bit confusing to me since I 'don't know what "apocrypha" is meant. But as a Catholic I would say that the deuterocannonical books are inspired and should be included in the Bible.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• 2mothershelpers - I would say stick with the Authorized King James Version.

Do you realize that the original Authorized King James Version included the "apocrypha"?  See "Wasn't the Apocrypha in the King James?" for details.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Nope!
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Since they were good enough for Jesus, the apostles and the early Christians they're good enough for me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I believe that any documents that help you to better yourself and your understanding of God is good. If it helps you find peace and understanding then I say go for it.
    stephanie7325

Answer by stephanie7325 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2009