when...

My son will be turning 1 on the 22nd of this month and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when the best time would be to take away the bottle and the way that you did it. I could most likely be fine without it all day but he really wants one at night and when he wakes up.. Please help!!

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 11:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By the time my three boys turned one they were already off of bottles completley and taking a sippy cup. But if you try to do it before your kid is ready it won't work and it will leave you both upset and frustrated. Before taking the bottle away perhaps try introducing the sippy and slowly wing your child from the bottle.
    stephanie7325

Answer by stephanie7325 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• at night and in the morning try a sippy with a soft spout. the nubby has almost a nipple like spout on it but its a sippy cup and not a bottle. that might make it easier on him.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My DD was 10 months when she was off the bottle. The very best way to do it is slow and easy. Just replace one bottle a day to start with and see if he adjusts well, once he is used to that replace another and so on. As for the night time one, idk. My DD never really needed to eat to go to sleep (and slept through the night by 6 months, so no bottles in the middle of the night either) so I never started the bottle at bed time routine. We did the teeth brushing routine instead. You could try a bottle or sippy of water instead of milk, that way he will eventualy just let it go on his own and it would be much better for his teeth too.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009