The Holy Spirit and Salvation. Christians please.

I've heard that to be "saved" the Holy Spirit must move the person to become a saved Christian... must choose the person to do so, or the person isn't truly saved.

I've also heard that a person chooses for themselves to be saved, THEN the Holy Spirit comes into them.

So, what comes first? The Holy Spirit or Salvation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Holy Spirit draws the person, when that person chooses to listen and accepts Christ then the Holy Spirit comes into that person. So it's not a before and after. The Holy Spirit is active from the time we become old enough to hear Him. He just does not yet dwell inside the person.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The idea of "salvation by grace alone" is the idea that the Holy Spirit (or God's grace) moves the person first and the person responds to the grace. This is what most Christians believe. Salvation/God's grace is freely given by God - the person just needs to respond/accept the gift.

The idea that we can choose salvation on our own first and then God gives us grace implies that we are saved by our own works and not God's grace and can be considered a form of pelagianism or semipelagianism. These are generally viewed as "heresies" by Christians.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• First of all when someone tells you something PLEASE have them back it up with the bible.. Dont believe anything that can not be backed up with the bible ok :) here are some verses that i hope helps you out..
    Matthew 3:16-17
    As soon as Jesus (the Son) was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven (the Father) said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• just open the door, He is knocking.
    Jesusfilmproject.org
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2009