How do/did you deal with it?

My 10mo DS is going through major separation anxiety and teething. He screams if I'm not within eyesight and is wanting to be held pretty much all the time. I don't mind holding him, in fact I find it super relaxing. The pain of it is that he wants to be held while he sleeps, which ended when he was 3 months (sleep training kicked in.) It feels like between the separation anxiety and the teething, he's cranky most of the time and I end up losing it a bit. I would never harm him in anyway but there are times I just feel like screaming myself.
How do/did you deal with this stage? Is it normal to be this stressed out? I need some words of encouragement please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TOTALLY normal!! You NEED some time away. Do you get any nights out without kids or hubby?? If not, try to get at least one night every 2 weeks, even if you just go to the movies by yourself- or the grocery store! You NEED time alone- don't feel guilty (easier said than done) but you really must recharge if you are going to be 100% there for kiddos. Our dear husbands get to leave thehouse and go to the office - we need time away too :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• hmm..I hear ya...my son is gonna be nine months soon and he is still awake and its past midnight. He cries when I leave the room. Sometimes I gotta go to the bathroom so I leave him alone. haha.
    And if he wasn't so heavy I would hold him all the time but I don't think its good for them. I think at some point he will need to be social and be ok with others. Lets scream together. :)
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• OP here- I'm a single mom. My boyfriend lives in a different state for the mean time-- military but me and my son will be moving out there later this year. Right now I'm staying with my parents and sister. My parents are on vacation and my sister works full-time and takes the baby from me for maybe an hour each night... it helps somewhat but yeah I do need to get out. My situation is tough though because I cannot afford my car insurance so I'm pretty much homebound unless I walk to a friend comes to pick me up. :( My parents get back in a week and I'm sure they'll steal my son from me long enough for me to wind down a bit. Thanks for the replies and letting me know I'm not insane. I need it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• If you are talking about leaving him with a sitter vs. getting him to play alone it is different answers. If you are leaving the house you smile and say goodbye. Tell him you love him and smile, then leave--don't linger. If you want him to play alone for a minute while you are in the next room do short periods of time. I have my kitchen and living room child proofed, and she get free reign on both the rooms regardless of where I am in the house. I don't mind including her, but I'd usually get her started on an activity then "escape" remember they have very short attention spans so you don't have a lot of time. Put him in his high chair and let him paint or something.. that'll buy you a good ten minutes or so!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2009