When to try finger foods?

My daughter always tries to stick her hand in the baby food and feed herself, or grab the bowl and stick it up to her mouth, or grab the spoon from me. I let her try to feed herself twice, and both times it was VERY messy! LOL!

I've let her try out teething crackers; I'll give her one every now and then and she chews on them very well. I gave her a small cracker today and she chews it with her gums pretty good.

When did you try finger foods? Or should I try chunky baby foods to see if she can chew yet?

P.S. She's 6 months old, so I know it's kind of early. My pedi said at 6 months with teeth she could start finger foods. She doesn't have teeth yet but already knows how to chew.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 12:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teeth don't matter! She isn't going to chew with her front teeth anyway!

We started finger and table foods at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My kids started at 6 months with no teeth. If you can mash it easily with your tounge and its in small pieces than she should be able to eat it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Start with the Gerber Puffs, they really dissolve quickly (try it--you'll see!) And I know this sounds gross, but I would soften them up by getting them very little wet (they get soggy easy and dissolve! you can put them in your mouth for a sec--hey she came from you! LOL she'll never know you did that) then give them to her until I was sure she wouldn't choke.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my dd had those gerber puffs and ritz crackers and baby food stage 2 @ 6 months. When she got to 8 mos she was on stage 3 baby food with goldfish crackers and by 9 months she was eating everything in site! I got her to copy me and my chewing motion at about 8-9 months and it really got her along quick. She pretty much skipped stage 3 baby foods. I fed her more real veggies and soft fruits and showed her how to chew it. She had 4 teeth by 8 months and is now 19 months and just got all her teeth in... but whatever your baby can gum, should be fine! Just keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't choke!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2009