What is a good pet for a toddler?

I have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 10 month old girl. Other than a dog and cat what is appropriate for them?
(what dou you think of a flemish giant bunny?)
Thanks.

lasisterd

Asked by lasisterd at 12:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pets

• A fish... Bunnies are not really a kid friendly pet. They scratch and bite. Trust me I raised rabbits. Maybe a hampster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Fish are great pets for little kids. And it is great because you can introduce them to the concept of death early so they are less scared about it. I only say that because fish die pretty regularly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• not only do rabbits scratch and bite, if they try to jump while you are holding them and they hit your chest just right they can kill an adult, so not an idea for kids. if you don't want a dog or cat, maybe a fish, or a hampster like the others suggested.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Fish definitley. We had fish when all 3 of my kids were little and they loved them. They are also easier than taking care of a dog/cat/rabbit/etc. Stay away from reptilian animals because they can carry salmonella. No turtles lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I would wait on little pets - like hampsters, gerbils and such- cause you don't want your child to accidentally squeeze it and kill it. So maybe a 'no touch' pet like fish? My hubs and I had fish for quite a long time, my older boys loved watching them swim around.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Hamsters bite, Rabbits bite. Guinea pigs are nice but can get hurt easily. We got dd two rats when she was 2 and 1/2 it worked well for us. They stayed in the living room she could only play with them when we were with sitting with her. She also had fish. The cat ate them. But seeing how you dot have cats it wouldn't be a problem.

Fish are nice, they are inexpensive, and can live for a few years. We bought a beta fish it lived for about 4 1/2 years. DF's goldfish lived about 6 years. and that one he got at a fair.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Guinea pigs bite too. I have had to go to the doctor a few times after one of my pigs has bitten me because the bite got infected. I have three pigs and they have bitten my kids numerous times as well. Especially the smaller ones. They do not like overstimulation and excited kids make them nervous. They are not low maintenance animals by any means. You have to clean their cage out frequently, provide fresh vegetables, continuous Timothy hay, make sure they are getting their Vitamin C, etc.

I'd say a fish would be best.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• since my first son been born he had cats n kittens dogs rabbits hamsters fish
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have a 2yo, 6yo, 8yo. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bunny, numerous fish and 2 turtles. Lol we live in the country. Our bunny doesn't bite. A previous poster mentioned that they weren't good pets bc they bite. I too raised and showed bunnies in 4-H and it is like any other pet you have to train them and "play" with them to get them used to the family. My 2 yo holds our bunny and it does just fine with her. Like other pets they have to be maintained, just not has much as say a dog. Good Luck. Oh our bunny is a lionhead, he'll be a bit smaller (plus he was the runt) then the average rabbit.
    Anonymous

• It also depends on how much time you want to put in. My kids are 7, 5, and 2.5 and we have a betta fish and two guinea pigs. The fish is very low maintenance, but doesn't give a lot back in terms of fun and affection. I really love the guinea pigs and ours are very docile and tolerant of the kids. No one has ever been bitten. One of them (Abyssinian breed) is a little high strung, although she is friendly she is a bit skittish. The other is an American/Silkie mix and she is a total lap pet and is super tolerant of the kids, even the two year old. She will go to sleep on their laps. However, they do take a lot of work- frequent cage cleaning, fresh hay, fresh greens/fruit, daily floor or outdoor time and some handling every day. But if you are willing to put the time in, ours have been worth the effort. Before having kids I also had hedgehogs- not a good toddler pet. We had some pricked fingers and hurt feelings!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2009